INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Kalpesh.

Reply with quote  #1 
Just wondring if anyone here has experience with both vendors and how their qualities compared. Most of my dayans are from Mukta Das but am keen to try and high quality Mumbai style dayan soon. Seems as if Somnath seems to have a very good reputation when it comes to exporting abroad, but have seen the Sohum website and also seen his name appear on this forum many times, which I've been going through over last few days.

Any help will be appreciated.
Aadil

Reply with quote  #2 
tl/dr - I was happy with Sohum's quality...until I bought a Vhatkar and a Somnath.

I have purchased 2 dayans and a bayan from Sohum in the past and they were all ok quality. The wood was good and he was responsive on email and phone. The tasma was uneven for a 'Pro' quality, but it didnt bother me too much. This was an order shipped to the US.

However, I bought stuff from Vhatkar and Somnath in person a few years down the line and the tone and quality of the pudi and the quality of the tasma is waay superior. Personally I liked Vhatkar more than Somnath. But my somnath order was a bit rushed due to my time constraints perhaps so that affected his quality.

My personal take is if you like Mukta Das, Vhatkar is the closest to that sound and quality in Mumbai style. Somnath is a close second. Sohum is a bit of a gamble.

Kalpesh.

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for your input Aadil. I’ve always heard that Vhatkar seems to have variable quality, which is highly dependent on who the client is. I suppose though buying in person whilst in Mumbai would be better.

Can I ask how much Somnath and Vhatker charged you when you bought from them in person?
Aadil

Reply with quote  #4 
I forget the exact amounts but somewhere around Rs12k for Vhatkar, Rs8k for Somnath. This is in 2015/2016. Both will sell cheaper sets as well which imho are not worth going to them for. I would strongly suggest approaching them via someone well known if possible (less relevant for somnath from what i read about him and my interaction). Unless you know exactly how things should sound and can discern quality very well, I would advise against bargaining. You can try to get stuff thrown in for free (cushions, hammer, better quality covers etc) to get more value at the same price.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.