INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
redtape

Reply with quote  #16 
Yes ~ I meant it can be be very similar and obviously not the same. Some things are inferred are they not? The point is that ICM is played on a HAMMERED instrument like the Santoor eloquently bu Pt. Shiv Kumar Sharma and Pt. Satish Vyas (no "modulating the intrument lke some) ~ they use the Volume that is inherently created through a meend ~ from Attack to Decay(CheesecakeTomek ~ I will elabortae after 5 hours of riyazz `it is an interesting and useful subject but very long so tonnight in few hours I will try my best to explain). Also the timing ~ Nick Bhai correct ~ thank you, I WAS talking about the "small" little things in "Meend" work that can be very similar to Meend when sliding. I have a Very Vilambit Bhairavi on my Website as of yesterday (not Ati Vilambit but Iwill post that as well) I rather like the idea of replacing Alaap with Ati Vlambit for the audience in the future.

Anand Vyas
http://www.anandvyas.org
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #17 
cheesecakeTomek
Love the name, what's it all about?

Yes we DO many krintan/zamzama kinds of 'slips' & slides, if you like. We just don't make a habit of it, that's all. :wink: I use it to best effect when playing really quickly in a drut gat. That's where I feel its magic is best used.

And I simply disagree with it. No negativity. Just a disagreement.>

That's Cheesy & Cheesier to you, pal!!!!
Totally agree with you too. A meend can be played at ANY speed whereas the slip is time restricted, I feel.

Nick
CheesecakeTomek

Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
cheesecakeTomek
Love the name, what's it all about?
Hahaha, mainly a reference to old high school shenanigans :twisted: ; though I am quite the lover of the pastry as well
Tomek, of course, being my first name.
Quote:
A meend can be played at ANY speed whereas the slip is time restricted
There's the essence right there!
redtape

Reply with quote  #19 
I would say both a Meend and a slide are both Time Restricted. One more than another ~ that is the difference between Bowed instruments and plucked instrument~ time is infinite, in a sense on a sarangi or violin, one can hold Sa or whatever note or notes literally forever if their "bow" hand was always moving (we assume they are at least as good as Ikram Bahi) I kind of like plucked instrumental theory ~ because I have learned from Masters of both the Sitar and the Sarangi (Pandit Sukhraj Jhalla and Ustad Sultan Khan). I like the decay that reflects the bittersweet truth of this life's "sun set" SAMAY that are embodied in Instruments like the Veena, The Sitar, The Sarod, etc ~ I obviously absolutely LOVE all of this music. If stuck on an island with a Sarangi alone with no other "choices", I would learn the Sarangi by playing 18 hours a day~ isn't that what it is partly about as well ? Choices one makes ~ I will learn over time how to "tame the beast".
For all of these instruments are beasts ~ and once "broken in" by a human soul ~ the bind between beast and human becomes a Sacred Thread that reflects the Eternal Divinity within each one of us and the timeless river of Archetypal Human Experience. They become a priceless art-form ~ for they have now come TO LIFE.
They become ~ the Ragas in the hands of a master ~ Form itself. Perfection personified. The infinity of a Fractal is ~ once again ~
a finite Perimeter with AN INFINITE AREA. So are The Ragas

http://www.anandvyas.org
CheesecakeTomek

Reply with quote  #20 
ever the poet! all true words, sir.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #21 
Sorry Anand but can you just run that past me again as it's 1.45 in the Varanasi morning & I've wasted so much time now trying to sort out PAYPAL & Ebay over some snags regarding my sitars for sale there.

Tomek BTW
What WERE you doing with that cheesecake????? And where are the pics???? :wink:

Nick
CheesecakeTomek

Reply with quote  #22 
you WOULD like to know wouldnt you

seriously though, no cheesecakes have been harmed in the course of my life, other than through the socially accepted way of fork and teeth.
redtape

Reply with quote  #23 
I love posting on threads with people like you two Open minds and souls ~ ops: :roll: 8)
Anand
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #24 
Anand Bhai
Will you be here for the Sankat Mochan Temple Concerts? I believe they start on sat the third april.

Nick
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.