INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Harinder

Reply with quote  #1 
I’ve noticed there are a few really small holes in the Syahi of the banya, I just wanted to ask if this normal.
sohummusicals

Reply with quote  #2 
Did you notice them recently ? may be the syahi grain came off leaving behind the small holes.
Nowadays its hard to find good tablawalas who use Saras to make syahi
on tablas. You will see them using either fevicol or Sticky gum made out of soaked Rawa.
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "sohummusicals"
Nowadays its hard to find good tablawalas who use Saras to make syahi
on tablas. You will see them using either fevicol or Sticky gum made out of soaked Rawa.
My guess is that the head is either old, abused, has become moldy, wet or damp, poorly made, or a combination of these factors. Eventually, most heads, except if they're very, very well-made and very well taken care of, will eventually develop missing particles on the sayhi. Most of the time it won't effect the sound unless there are a lot of holes or the holes become very large. The problem is that they indicate that the sayhi is falling apart and the likelihood that there are loose particles that have not yet fallen out is pretty high. These loose particles will cause that 'buzz' sound that's so annoying. If the head isn't buzzing then be on the lookout for a replacement head and someone who can replace it for you. Putting glue or fingernail polish in the holes or on the loose particles to keep more particles from falling out only works for a short time if ever at all.

Sohum,
What are the terms: Saras, fevicol, soaked Rawa? Is this the area of gelatin that the sayhi is built on, which is then cured in the sun?

A.

Reply with quote  #4 
Not sure what saras is- sounds like some type of natural resin. Fevicol is a commercial glue available in India. Rawa is a type of flour known for its sticky/glutinous qualities. If you've ever eaten at a South Indian restaurant, you might have noticed rawa or rava dhosa on the menu.
sohummusicals

Reply with quote  #5 
Dear Aanaddha,

Saras, fevicol and Soaked rawa are three different substances.
As what surtaal told about rawa and fevicol is exactly right.

Let me explain it to you about saras..

Saras is made from bones of dead animals and is available in the form of flakes. It is very sticky when it is heated with equal proportion of water at 75 to 100 Deg Centigrade.
when the sticky liquid is used as an adhesive, it forms a strong joint between two parts(normally used to stick leather with wood when making harmoniums and also used as the base on which the syahi is built on).
The syahi built on saras layer sticks so firm that the syahi grains never come off. Another good thing is that after many years of use, the tabla skin will tear off but the syahi remains firm.

There are 2 big disadvantages though,
1) When the saras Boils the smell is awful, anyone can hardly stand by it, but once you are used to it, everything smells good..

2) The moisture or dampness factor sometines affect saras in rainy season, as it gets soft and sticky.

I would say its the best thing to be used but not many tablawallas left in india who would like to use saras though it is cheaply available. something like around Rs.125/- per Kg

regards,

Upendra
Chaz

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks for the info, Upendra!
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #7 
Upendra,
Saras appears to be what I suspected, very much similiar to commercial-grade gelatin in the West. Can you confirm that it is also necessary to cure for some time in the sunlight before the sayhii masala is applied?

A.

Reply with quote  #8 
Yes anaddha, It is required that after a thin layer of Saras is applied on the tabla skin, it needs to be sun dried and after that the layers of syahi are built on it.

One more thing, while preparing the syahi masala paste, little amount of saras water (around 10 grams saras in 1 litre water) is also added so that the syahi is stuck well to the base.

But apart from using saras water with syahi masala powder, we also have to mix the glue made out of soaked Rawa( or Wheat Flour).

:wink:
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #9 
Upendra,
Tell me please what is the proportion (1:1) of the glue (rawa) to syahi powder? Is rice glue an acceptable subtitute for the wheat?

Thanks!

A.

Reply with quote  #10 
The proportion is 1/3 part Rawa glue and 2/3 part Syahi powder.. if the syahi paste gets harder then pour little quantity of saras water in it. I never heard of ppl using rice glue but Maida(white flour made from Wheat) is acceptable.
The best is Rawa (Coarsely ground Wheat) glue ..
Soak the Rawa in double quantity of water for 24 hrs. then squeeze and filter the whole thing using thin cloth. Note that it will be very sticky. After that boil the liquid till it gets thicker and then let it cool.
And the glue is ready. Try it out. It can be used to stick papers as well.
Harinder

Reply with quote  #11 
Thanks for the replys
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.