INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
harjasskamal

Reply with quote  #1 
Does the way you sit affect your baya control?
Is it good to use your knee to keep the baya in place at that slanted position while you play, or does your hand do the controlling of the angle of slant of the baya?
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #2 
Beginners naturally believe that if their bayan is moving they should apply more pressure and tension to keep it under control.
Point of fact - if your bayan is moving you should apply less pressure. Less pressure will also increase sound resonance and the ability to modulate the sound.
Good bayan technique also requires the ability to sit straight with the head, neck, shoulders, legs, and spine perfectly relaxed.

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you Aanaddha ji for your reply.

But Im not talking about the amount of pressure to apply on the baya. Rather, I want to know if you'll use your knee to hold the baya in position. Is there contact between your knee and the baya, and if there is, does it help keep the baya in place?
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #4 
Harjasskamal
Unless your ring isn't the proper size to hold the bayan upright you shouldn't need your knee or anything else to hold the it in place. If your bayan moves uncontrollably try using a less rigourous (softer) technique.

Reply with quote  #5 
Both drums should be placed so that they are almost touching your shins. This has nothing to do with keeping the drums in a stable position but is for having them at the right distance for the arms.

If the drums move around on good rings it's usually because of too much pressure applied from the hands. I have this problem which is only alleviated by practice and strengthening of the fingers so that they won't need so much force to do the job.

Reply with quote  #6 
Ok, thank you dear friends for the comments and suggestions.

It has helped me understand baya control better.

Thank you. =)
sohummusicals

Reply with quote  #7 
Make the Rings on your own because you know your bayan better than anyone else. Since the Bayans are not machine made and all the work is done with hands, there is always slight variation in the shape and curves of each bayan. So its always a better Idea to make your own Rings. Use old waste clothes and make some good ones.
Have a look at mine. I made it myself.
http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/8108/ringcn3.jpg
Try it!!!

--
Upendra
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.