INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #1 
Check out this webpage.
Three photos down the page you can see what is described as a Sitar-Sarod.
It looks like that wood talbli sarod i posted about earlier, but it is really big like a sitar. Look at the image of the guy playing one. It looks huge.
Ever seen one of these or heard one?
http://us.geocities.com/khandarbani_dhrupad/photos.html
mattm312

Reply with quote  #2 
It looks incredible. Nice carving, headstock, and finish, too.

Of course, the million dollar question: what does it sound like?
Surbaharplayer

Reply with quote  #3 
This site was set up by an ex-forum member (Beenkarji). Some older forumers might remember him. I think he had some connections with Andy's Music.
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #4 
I am assuming that this is a sort of Bass sarod.
The tone must be at least an octave lover than a standard sarod
arnabsarod

Reply with quote  #5 
Comes across as some sort of sursringar/mohan veena. Radhika Mohan Maitra had asked in sarod maker Gopal Sharma to create a sarod with a thin wooden tabli and sitar-like bridge. Effectively, the instrument produced the same musical effect as the Sursringar, but was the same dimensions as a sarod, and was tuned to A or B (just a little lower than the sarod), as opposed to G/G#. The advantage of the Mohan Veena was that one could use sarod technique to play it, but it allowed one to think outside the prevalent idiom of sarod music. It was especially effective for alaps.

The instrument was given the name Mohan Veena by Thakur Jaidev Singh, then director general of AIR, in 1948. Radhika Mohan used it in public performance for the first time in 1961, for a National Program broadcast on AIR, after years of experimentation with it.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.