INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
barend

Reply with quote  #1 
Just came across this. It's terribly out of tune and not played well but in the right hands it might sound good:

I once saw Ashok Pathak play a small size higher pitched sitar. It was something else than this one and sounded more like a real sitar but then higher pitched. Any info on these smaller sitars?
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #2 
Hmmm... it bears a rather uncanny resemblance to an instrument my cousin had as a kid, the tiny guitar-like uke that you'd crank and it would play "Howdy-Doody"....

Reply with quote  #3 
To be sure and it's a sitar made by the little people in India, begorrah. What's the Hindi word for leprechaun? :wink:
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #4 
With those tiny frets, ain't no way I could play serious taans or meend with any degree of accuracy. Would make a neat display for my office desk though!
barend

Reply with quote  #5 
I see this sitar uke more as a gimmick.

But any info on other small higher pitched serious sitars? no toys.
Like the one Ashok Pathak is using. I have a recording of him playing one and there was also a youtube video of him playing one (can't find it anymore).
cabaray

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi

Maybe the sitar you saw Ashok Pathak play was similar to this. Not as small as the one in the video ( I think that is one of those miniature toy sitars) but its the smallest one I've seen.

Ray
http://www.patric-marks.com/Pir-Murshid.jpg
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #7 
That one in the video is simply a toy meant for the tourist market.

Here is a real one that the owner calls a "Sitari".
It is a really small sitar, but not as small as the toy in the video.
I think it is very cool.
http://home.teleport.com/~monica/sitar/
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #8 
A modern version of that old specimen might be just the ticket as a TRUE travel instrument...something not designed to sound wonderful but very easily stowed and carried around, perfect for keeping ones chops up while traveling. Similar to those Martin Backpacker guitars, if they still make them.
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #9 
Unfortunately, if the sitar is not at or near full scale, then practice is not as helpful as it would be with a full scale travel sitar.
Most travel sitars are close to full scale.

A tiny guitar can be played for fun, but I would not call it practice.
A tiny sitar could be noodled on, but I would not call it Riyaz.

Riyaz is to get the distances and positions of the notes into your head so they are second nature.
The tiny sitar would hinder that development if used for Riyaz.
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #10 
Absolutely agreed, my teacher advised me, during one period where I had switched back and forth between two sitars (one a "travel" and one a full scale) to pick one as practice would be counterproductive...getting the meend range is crucial. I guess I was thinking more of something to keep the callouses there.

Getting ready to take a 2 week foray sans any stringed instruments whatsoever, so hopefully my fingers won't be completely helpless when I get back...
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #11 
Well, you can play a bit on a travel sitar on vacation without destroying your skills.
At least you can keep your calluses up.
What about your RA travel sitar?
You are not taking it with you?

You are absolutely right about the meend.
My travel sitar can do wild huge meends that are unrealistic on my Hiren Roy.
It also seems that the meend distances are all off compared to my Hiren.
This is why I only noodle on the travel sitar at times and when on vacation.
If I am practicing sitar (Riyaz), I only use the Hiren Roy.
I spent too much time getting good on the Hiren Roy to squander my accuracy on a travel sitar.

I must say the travel sitar is fun to play though.
There is a difference between playing around on a sitar and doing heavy Riyaz.
For travel sitars, heavy riyaz...no, noodling for fun and callouses...absolutely.
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "cwroyds"
What about your RA travel sitar?
You are not taking it with you?
Sold it to my teacher recently! So I am a one-sitar man again. Besides, with the way I have to pack a family of four and all luggage into a tiny little Nissan Versa for two weeks of roadtrip there would be no fitting a sitar in amongst all that anyway!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.