INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
aspiringsitarist

Reply with quote  #1 
Now we've all heard of sarodiyas learning from sitariyas, sitariyas learning from sarodiyas...Flautists learning from anyone that's going: but is it possible for a sitarist/sarodiya to learn from a santoor player?

What do you think?
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #2 
Sure, why not.
Of course it REALLY REALLY helps if the Teacher has an understanding of star technique, or that you are already clear on the basics of technique.
I suppose that if the teacher has NO knowledge of you instrument, and you dont either, you might find some problems.
But the great Annapurna Devi (Surbahar) taught flautists Hariprasad Chaurasia and Nityanand Haldipur.
The important thing is the teachers ability to teach the music.

Having said all that I would not do it unless I was really really inspired by that particular teacher or he was the only one I could find.
Do what you can to find a really good sitar teacher.
It is much easier that way and you are sure to get good coaching on you sitar technique.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #3 
In all fairness, how on earth can you learn about 'sruti' from a santoor player????
Only someone of, perhaps, Shiv Kumar Sharmaji could even attempt it!

Is there really no-one else?!?!?

Nick
aspiringsitarist

Reply with quote  #4 
No no! Not as a teacher for me...I was just wondering whether it could be possible.
Agape

Reply with quote  #5 
Interesting question. It could be learned if the player was a good teacher (anything is possible). But I would have to agree with trippy monkey; meend work would be difficult to learn, to say the least from a Santoor player (unless he could sing as well : ). Learning music is always good though.
rex@sitar.co.za

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "trippy
In all fairness, how on earth can you learn about 'sruti' from a santoor player????
Only someone of, perhaps, Shiv Kumar Sharmaji could even attempt it!
Nick
Yeah, that would kill about 50% of the sitar's technique and maybe 90% of it's beauty

I guess the short answer would be, "No" ...?

- Rex
kamalehi

Reply with quote  #7 
it is difficult..ive tried it, the technique is especially different... i think if you have a good ear, and the person knows how to sing/explain that you can get it(i picked it up, except for the technique) although it is different, it does interfere with the sitar's technique, but the notes,gamaks,sargams are the same, the meends are difficult, and the jhalla is different.
it doesnt mean you cant do it, but if you listen, you should be able to get the hang of it.
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #8 
Having seen Panditji Ravi Shankar teaching Pakhawaj riffs to Kumar Bose, Santoor chops relayed to a Sitar player coud be done, rather in abstract, to be sure. Mechanically, the obvious missing ingredients would be limiting, but thinking back, I saw a Hari Krishna fanatic beating on a Sitar with Santoor mallets at Berkeley many years ago. Ya never know !

Reply with quote  #9 
unless you can't find a sitar player/teacher, why?????
i've noticed a lot of indian teachers seem blissfully unconcerned with finer techniques of hand positions, posture etc. if you want to run backwards and then re-learn a lot of possibly negative habits developed by NOT having a teacher who really knows the instrument, by all means, go for it.
daz199

Reply with quote  #10 
i dont think it would be a good place to start, but if you already knew how to play i'm sure you could learn a lot about indian classical music in general from a santoorist
mizrable

Reply with quote  #11 
Pandit Tarun Bhattacharya is an incredible santoorist who studied with Raviji. I studied with him on a few occasions and its always been a wonderful and worthwhile experience sometimes he sings sometimes he plays along with his singing. He has great approach to teaching alap and if you are an intermediate level sitarplayer and happen to have him in your town (he's always traveling/touring) I recommend you seek him out. He's very affordable and sincere about teaching. I've seen him incorporate meed techniques in his bhaj like small dhana (short range reverse gamak) using one hammer to strike while the other releases off the string. He also has some sophisticate tremelo system in his Kharaj/pancham saptak that allow him to pull up to a perfect 4th interval. Check him out!!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.