INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
katyrow

Reply with quote  #1 
Opinions on age of this sitar? No tarabs. No tabli carving. Chikari peg mid-way up the neck, which I've rarely seen. Thanks.

Attached Images
jpeg No tarab 2.jpg (134.20 KB, 8 views)
jpeg No Tarab 1.jpg (105.71 KB, 7 views)

StVitus

Reply with quote  #2 
I remember reading that sitars with no sympathetics are sold as student instruments in India.
StVitus

Reply with quote  #3 
Ah, found more than I remembered in Chaudhuri’s Plucked Instruments of Northen India, p. 6. Chaudhuri says that this is an older style that was prevalent in the nineteenth century, prior the addition of sympathetic strings, perhaps by Imdad Khan.
StVitus

Reply with quote  #4 
And Nad, p. 207, says of sitars that ”there are two basic types, the plain (sāda) used only by students, and the tarabdār (or tarafdār), the latter having 9 to 13 sympathetic strings…”
Sanjeeb

Reply with quote  #5 
I started learning on these types of sitars about 45 years ago in a small town in India. These were very common then.
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #6 
I love that style.
Sleek and incredibly simple.
I want to get a master maker to make me one like this, but with sympathetic strings.

These old student model designs owe more to the older style of sitar than our modern designs
I have a very ornate but much older sitar that shows where this came from.
This one has no sympathetic strings and the second chikari peg is half way up the neck, although it is not shown in the photos.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/carletonroyds/albums/72157638815426686
StVitus

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "cwroyds"
I love that style.
Sleek and incredibly simple.
I want to get a master maker to make me one like this, but with sympathetic strings.
Lars has one that’s pretty close: http://raincitymusic.com/mohanlalsharmasitar.htm

I watched a video about sitars by Rikhi Ram. AJ said most of the decorated raised areas are there to either affect sound or strengthen joints, so that might be why plain sitars are hard to find.
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #8 
Nope, that one ain't close enough.
I mean totally devoid of decoration like the one above.
I like the complete lack of decoration.

Oddly that one on Lar's website looks like they designed by referencing my teak Hiren Roy.
(I don't mean my actual Hiren Roy, but that style that came from Hiren Roy)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/carletonroyds/albums/72157620484854523
katyrow

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
In addition to being uber-munda, the one above is quite small at 48 inches long with a 12" tabli.
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #10 
Yup, smaller sitars can have a beautiful delicate tone. I played a small RR Lahore style sitar that was small and it was delicate in tone but stunningly beautiful to listen to.
chrisnovice

Reply with quote  #11 
Here's a cute picture of a young Ravi Shankar playing a similar instrument.
Ravi-Shankar-1a.jpg 

Lars

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
I like the complete lack of decoration.

Oddly that one on Lar's website looks like they designed by referencing my teak Hiren Roy.
(I don't mean my actual Hiren Roy, but that style that came from Hiren Roy)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/carletonroyds/albums/72157620484854523
That style of carving has been around for many years, Mohan Lal was making them long before yours was made. These structures made by the Halder family who ML trained in the 60's to do work for Radha Krishna (his uncle) and the other big makers. Yours looks quite nice, the tabli shape is excellent, the penwork style is more HR oriented as mine is that way too but maybe a few years older. You'll notice the changes in the designs over the generations as the craftsmen come and go, it's more their designs actually than the maker who is only checking the tabli and thicknesses and fitting them. They'll give a general idea of the style and carving and then it gets farmed out and if it's popular it becomes more available in different variations.

Lars

Reply with quote  #13 
I wish there was a sitar encyclopedia, which sections on each maker, and a through exploration of the designs through the decades. I have the book on Kanai Lal, and it is awesome. I just wish there was one for the wider sitar design/making world.
I love all the different designs and styles.

That Mohan Lal has a beautiful piece of wood for the tabli.
It is very striking.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.