INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
YoungPanditNS3

Reply with quote  #1 
I found this online tuner, and was wondering if it is a good, and generally accurate tuner for a beginner practicing scales and such,
the url is below,
regards

http://www.thomasvoigt.de/en/sitar.html
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #2 
There are better things to use, besides lugging a computer around.

My suggestion would be:

1). Get an app for your phone.

2). Get a Raagini machine.

3). Get a Peterson-type tuner.

4.) Learn to use your ears.

In addition, one will eventually come to the conclusion after this question = "Just how serious am I about playing the sitar?", in order to make several INVESTMENTS in the above list.

If you want to play anywhere outside of the place where you are living, all four might be worth having, but that's up to you.

Reply with quote  #3 
well, at some point I will pick up some of those devices, but as a beginner, using an online tuner until I can tune with the tampura or by ear
would be somthing I would do,
I just wanted to find out what the notes are of the stings are, and how to tune them,
povster

Reply with quote  #4 
Absolutely nothing the matter with using a computer based system. I have Riyaz Studio installed on two small netbooks: one for travel and one connected to my tv/stereo system for permanent use in my home. I prefer it over any I have used, including Raagini type electronic boxes (one still has to lug those) and soundwise I prefer it over the Iphone/Ipad app.

The way I figure it, if you have to lug an instrument and its kit around, a netbook is small potatoes to add to it.

OM GUY

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "YoungPanditNS3"
well, at some point I will pick up some of those devices, but as a beginner, using an online tuner until I can tune with the tampura or by ear
would be somthing I would do,
I just wanted to find out what the notes are of the stings are, and how to tune them,
If you want to see what the notes are, go to "Rain City Music" and look up "Sitar Information"... toggle down the page and you will see the tunings.

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.