INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Ian S. Cophin

Reply with quote  #1 
Has anyone else ever wondered why the 1st string/melody string is tuned to Ma and not Pa? Tuning it to Pa (or using a capo - I've been fiddling around with a makeshift one) allows much more open string playing. 
Tomek Regulski

Reply with quote  #2 
It is very important to be able to play ornaments around Pa, and also to be able to connect Pa and Sa through meend. Since the second string is very susceptible to breakage, tuning the main string to Ma allows the player all these things. I am sure one can think of other reasons, but in my experience these are some of the top points.
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #3 
You could always do a 'Ravi' & take it off altogether !!! Then you can mix up ALL sorts of music & not get 'clashes' !?!?!?

Nick
Tomek Regulski

Reply with quote  #4 
Nick - I think we are talking about the baj here - can't really do without that one, I think!!
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #5 
MMMM Not that stoopid thanks. I meant Ravi's non-existent PA !!!
sitar-ria

Reply with quote  #6 
I usually leave the main string tuned to Pa when playing in C (learning from or playing with sarode), to keep the string tension the same as when playing in D... it works quite well, though takes a lot of getting used to. Definitely a lot of open P options, although not being able to pull from P can be annoying.
barend

Reply with quote  #7 
Not sure why or how it originated but sarod and vichitra veena and rudra veena also use Ma as the main string I think so maybe they wanted to keep it the same for sitar?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.