kr236rk

Reply with quote  #46 
Thanks Lars,

Will update when the string arrives 😉

Kr
kr236rk

Reply with quote  #47 
Still waiting :-o

Meanwhile, have been having a look at various Tarab tunings. Will this system work for me please? For some reason tunings on the internet are in C so I have done my best to sharpen the note values. Thank you. tarab system.jpg 

JRJ

Reply with quote  #48 
KR2

Sorry that I have been away from your sitar saga but I think you are in good hands with Larz, he is
very patient [cool]...

The lower bank of the strings in your diagram numbered 1-12 are intended to be tuned, if Hindustani classical music
 is your focus, more or less to the notes of the Raga for the simple reason that when the notes are played the same
note will resonate in the sympathetic strings. So your query would need to consider the Raga that you are studying, right?

Well, maybe not. If possible lets make things more simple and trust the ear. Did you try strumming this particular combination of notes? I would think just from looking at it that it might not sound so good. But no worries, just a few changes will remedy the problem with dissonance...

K2- If you are just writing the notes down without hearing them it will be hard to know the difference. Just saying[smile].

So, unless you like the way it sounds, try changing the no-2 string down 1 step to B. Then the no-3-- change
to A# or Bb, as you like it. And then the no-4 to C#. I would also change the 5&6 strings to both D#,
but you can leave them the way you have them without dissonance. 

But, at the top, "DANGER"!  String no's 11 and 12. Those two strings are very short and the string tension is high and if you try to go up to "High" F#" and Eb (D#;-) almost certainly you will break a string.

Bring those notes down; no-12 to high C# and the no-11 to B.

Another important consideration with the tuning and playing. If we are tuned in C# then it is a good thing to 
know where those notes are because that is the key that you will play in. 

The "high SA" chikari, the note (peg) just above your no-1 peg in your diagram which is also a C# but the no-1
is at middle C up 1/2 step to C#. Those two notes are the same but one is, the chikari, pitched higher. At the other end
of the string bank, peg no-12 in your diagram is also a C# at the higher pitch. If the Sitar was tuned in D
those three notes would all be in D and the same if the sitar was in C. Just a difference in pitch. This is important
because the sitar remains in the one key and the music depends a lot on ornamentation as part of improvisation.
So the repetition of notes is in part for resonation, but also for rhythm and accentuation.
And not forgetting the second string and the fourth are also C# : The no-2 middle C# and the no-4 is a low C#.
That is a lot of C#'s just in case you wanted to know.[smile]

*j*
.~
jRj

kr236rk

Reply with quote  #49 
Thank you jRj,

Glad I posted! 😉 I broke a tarab when the sitar was still quite new, probably over-tuned it.

These are my main strings, they sound good to my ear but I don't know what tradition uses this tuning, I am eagerly awaiting the bass string to hear the full flavour of the strings.

I imagine the set-up of the main strings will to some degree determine the tarabs.

peg notes.jpg 

Lars

Reply with quote  #50 
Did you order strings from me? If so drop me an email and will see where they are, you should have a tracking. If overseas it takes awhile...
This tuning is a good default tuning, it's what I use.

Lars

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr236rk
Still waiting :-o

Meanwhile, have been having a look at various Tarab tunings. Will this system work for me please? For some reason tunings on the internet are in C so I have done my best to sharpen the note values. Thank you. tarab system.jpg 

Reply with quote  #51 
Thanks Lars,

No it came from central Europe, turned up this morning [wink]

You said: "This tuning is a good default tuning, it's what I use", did you mean the tarabs, or the main strings please - or both, as in the whole tuning set-up for my sitar as it presently is, by my diagrams?

My next steps are:

a) to fit the Low Sa string;
b) to transfer the tarab values to my piano keyboard for tuning;
c) to replace the broken tarab string with string-guide and,
d) to tune the tarabs.

With kind regards.
Lars

Reply with quote  #52 
Quote:
Thanks Lars,

No it came from central Europe, turned up this morning [wink]

You said: "This tuning is a good default tuning, it's what I use", did you mean the tarabs, or the main strings please - or both, as in the whole tuning set-up for my sitar as it presently is, by my diagrams?

My next steps are:

a) to fit the Low Sa string;
b) to transfer the tarab values to my piano keyboard for tuning;
c) to replace the broken tarab string with string-guide and,
d) to tune the tarabs.

With kind regards.

The whole outline is fine that you've done. Note the 4th string is SA not Ga as you've written but the note is correct.

Lars

Reply with quote  #53 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars

The whole outline is fine that you've done. Note the 4th string is SA not Ga as you've written but the note is correct.

Lars

Many thanks,

The 4th numbered tarab on the diagram is Re / Eb.

Emphasis mine.

For the tarabs I have: 

GA / F No.5 and
GA / F No.12 (High)

SA will be C# in the western system.

Which string do you mean please?

Kind regards.

ThunderBass95

Reply with quote  #54 
Here is a chart for Ravi Shankar (Karaj Pancham) style in C#. Hope this helps. [thumb]
Sitar Tuning in C#.jpg 

kr236rk

Reply with quote  #55 
Thanks ThunderBass 😉

That looks similar to what I have.

Going to go easy on the shorter tarabs however.

Will update.
Lars

Reply with quote  #56 
Quote:

Many thanks,

The 4th numbered tarab on the diagram is Re / Eb.

Emphasis mine.

For the tarabs I have: 

GA / F No.5 and
GA / F No.12 (High)

SA will be C# in the western system.

Which string do you mean please?

Kind regards.

4th main string, not tarab which can vary according to raga/tuning.

Lars

Reply with quote  #57 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars

4th main string, not tarab which can vary according to raga/tuning.

Lars

Thank you, the Kharaj, that is my bass string, C#, Low SA 😉

I will probably have a go at attaching it towards the end of the week.

Kind regards.
kr236rk

Reply with quote  #58 
Fitted the Low Sa, had to file it's bridge slot slightly to encourage the thicker string to sit properly.

So far so good.

Will look at the Tarabs next 😉 

Season's greetings / Happy Holidays.

Low Sa fitted+tuner stone.jpg 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.