INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
kr236rk

Reply with quote  #16 
Here is where the taraf guide fell out when I broke it's string, trying to tune the sympathetics :-o  missing-taraf-guide-hole-(l.jpg 
kr236rk

Reply with quote  #17 
Here are where the strings are tethered at the bridge end of the sitar, it doesn't look as daunting as I first thought - but nevertheless. I can't see any way of mounting the headstock string guides, other than re-stringing?  bridge end strings_panorama.jpg
JRJ

Reply with quote  #18 
Hi Kr236...Looks like a decent sitar. It helps a lot that you posted some pictures.
Here is a link that will help with your understanding:

https://www.india-instruments.com/tuning-strings.html

The head stock "string guides" are not guides but are beads used for fine tuning. The strings
that use beads are the first two strings, the MA and SA, tuned to F# and C# respectivly and the beads
 for these strings are at the bottom of the sitar near the bridge. I can see on your sitar that there is one shaped like a bird
or "swan" and that is the bead or fine tuner for your F#. There should be another bead on the next string that is usually round and that is the C#. The other beads in your plastic bag are for the next two strings which are tuned G# and low C#. You will probably be able to get close to the correct pitch without the last two. I have seen sitars that omit these. It just depends on how good your pegs are, but I think that it is crucial to have the fine tuners.

The "unidentified" bead could be your C#-"SA" fine tuning bead for the second string if that one is missing. I cannot tell for sure. 

Ok, update, yes your SA is missing a bead.

Good luck. Persevere and you shall play the sitar;-).
jRj
kr236rk

Reply with quote  #19 
Mucj obliged jRj,

Here is a picture showing the egg-shaped tuner beside the swan.

http://www.raincitymusic.com/naskarsitar/naskarsitartablileft.jpg

And here the fine tuners at the headstock. What is the comb-shaped extension please?

http://www.raincitymusic.com/naskarsitar/naskarsitartopdownright.jpg

So, I have no option but to re-string, in order to fit the fine tuners?

Thanks.
JRJ

Reply with quote  #20 
"So, I have no option but to re-string, in order to fit the fine tuners?"

It is a wonderful learning experience to restring your whole instrument but it can be a daunting task if your not familiar
with the instrument and how and why it goes together. Possibly a guitar tech at your local music store would be willing
to take it on. It's really not that hard... 

But, playing is more important.

The beads on the headstock can be placed easily;
just unwind the string from the tuning peg, thread the bead and rewind the string in the peg. It does not require a new string. Same with
the other beads. The SA, the second playing string, C# is only slightly more difficult. The sitar does not need to be perfect
in order to get the very valuable playing experience and with that experience will come the strong desire to improve the 
sound by fine tuning the various parameters of the instrument; fine tuning beads, new strings, tuning the frets etc.
If you have the F# MA (first string) intact and in tune you can play a lot. I am just saying that because sometimes people get into
over-care about technical things and that stops them from exploring the most important thing which is making beautiful
sounds that communicate feeling.

jRj 
kr236rk

Reply with quote  #21 
Thank you. Am relieved the sitar is in such good shape, although I carefully stored it.

What is this extension please, it seems to serve no function. Is it there to store spare strings?

extension.jpg 

JRJ

Reply with quote  #22 
I had a Yoga teacher once (Eric Schiffman) who is a really great person; affable, humorous, fierce. I spent a fair amount of
time with him and I would consider him a friend even though I don't see him very often. He has stayed at my house and I have cooked him dinner and I even think he kind of fancied my cute niece.

Years ago I did his 10 day yoga teachers training "intensive" and everybody is there on the first day sitting around doing poses and chatting, waiting for Eric to show up and finally he did.

He rolled out his mat and sat there for a moment, kind of majestic. He had everybody's undivided attention. He took a deep breath and said
"I don't know, I don't know, I don't know". And then was quit for a long time...

As far as that funny thing on the side of your sitar I've got one too but I have never been able to get a sound out of it;-).

jRj
*j*
.~

kr236rk

Reply with quote  #23 
Enlightenment is the sound of one hand clapping or possibly the deep, resonant drone from a non-existent string on a beautiful sitar 😉 
kr236rk

Reply with quote  #24 
Low Sa / C# question.

Here is my tuning diagram, have I got it right please?

Question follows. peg-notes-low.jpg 

kr236rk

Reply with quote  #25 
Have noticed that the Low Sa string is incredibly lax, am wondering if the sitar has the wrong string in this position please? 

low Sa string.jpg 

JRJ

Reply with quote  #26 
kr236rk, This is a great way to illustrate your questions. I don't have much time here today but your tuning diagram is correct. The string gage  question to my eye indicates that the string might be to thin. It should still work but it will not give you the bass tone
that you want from the Ravi Shankar tuning and setup. There is a middle of the road tuning that uses a lighter gage for this string so
don't stress it too much. Keep going.
jRj

Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #27 
MMM Seems like you've put the second SA string on TWICE here. It's easy to see it's wrong without actually needing to listen to it??!!??

Nick
kr236rk

Reply with quote  #28 
Thank you jRj,

Which would be the correct string please? I was sure it was the wrong gauge because it also rattles slightly; I am more than willing to replace it, it will give me the excuse to fit one of the ceramic fine 
adjusters.
kr236rk

Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Proctor
MMM Seems like you've put the second SA string on TWICE here. It's easy to see it's wrong without actually needing to listen to it??!!??

Nick

Nick, I haven't put any strings on any thing - this is how the sitar was set up.
ThunderBass95

Reply with quote  #30 
The first string-Ma, should be .012 steel string and the second string-Sa, should be .016 bronze. [cool]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.