INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
fossesitar

Reply with quote  #1 
Because of the many and varied camera angles during this performance, it is possible to see in detail the position and technique for both the right and left hands, as well as meend. Note the natural left arm position hanging totally relaxed by the side. If you want a model for correct sitar hand position and techique I do not think you will find a better one - so clearly demonstrated - as it is here:

barend

Reply with quote  #2 
Strangely enough the Sa pitch is C in this video. Normally VK is playing around C# or between C# and D.
I also have this one on DVD but somehow his later playing doesn't touch me whereas as his older records do. Never managed to sit through to whole DVD.
fossesitar

Reply with quote  #3 
I would tend to agree Barend, but this is true for many artists both east and west - I generally prefer their earlier to middle work when they are fresh and most inspired. With all due respect to fans of Sargent Pepper I prefer Beatles '63 and Rubber Soul. Same for the Stones, the Who, Clapton, Buddy Guy etc.

I also find that when Indian musicians play concerts in the west it is quite different to when they play concerts in Calcutta or Benares. I was blown away when I heard PRS in Calcutta.

Be that as it may, playing technique was the reason for this posting, especially the right hand technique seen in the Jor. The back of his right hand moves hardly at all, all the fingers open and close together in a natural way, the right thumb is stable and only adjusts slightly to facilitate the different strokes. The same is true for UVK in jhala although there is no jhala here unfortunately. It is the camera angle that allows such a clear view of the wonderful technique in evidence here and it can be so helpful to see this for any of us aspiring to the most efficient and injury resistant way to play the instrument. GF
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.