INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
yussef ali k

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi.
A student of Mushtaq A. Khan told me he used to be tuned to Sa=B. I believe this should have been the 'norm' as of the beginning of XXc, maybe until RS/VK came.

The person had no idea of gauges he used, though.

Am writing in hopes there are people here that can tell me on this (Gauges & Tuning Pitches from 1900 on).

Hope this's useful ... Thank you in advance.
yussef ali k

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi.

OK, I guess this's not a well-researched topic anyway.

Anyway, many people know that, excluding the player role, the energy put out by the vibrating string depends on its:

-Tuning pitch;
- Active length;
- Material = what's made out of;
- Gage = thickness.

So, these parameters are the prime, organic way to sound/tone tweaking on this kind of instruments (Many other ways are there, for sure!).

Please add to this (reading suggestions are also welcome).
Thank y'all in advance for the feedback.
Have fun.
fossesitar

Reply with quote  #3 
I have no direct knowledge of this, but I would not be the least bit surprised if we were originally tuned closer to "B", makes sense to me for a lot of reasons. The trend has been towards tuning higher, to C, then C# and now some of the players tune to D. But the scale length has not been changed to accomodate this. When you are playing # 4 piano wire as VK did, and tuned to D as some are now doing, it becomes VERY stressful on the instrument, and (ESPECIALLY) on our finers and callouses.

All of this - along with the fact that D is a most useful key for western music - is why we have shortened the scale on the FOSSE by one fret, in essence, removing the first fret (closest to nut) and moving the nut to that location. Shortens scale by about 1-1/2" (going from 34-1/4" to 32-3/4" on GP style) and keeps string tension the same when tuned to D, as it is at C# with standard scale. Or, allows tuning DOWN to C# for slacker, easier to play mode. With an electric the values of high tension or fat (heavy) strings are not required, they become "more optional".
fossesitar

Reply with quote  #4 
thats "fingers" not finers :roll:
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.