INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
element-82

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi,
has anyone made a sitar stand/rack for holding the sitar horezontally so that you can do maintenance on it? e.g. putting new strings, tying frets etc. A table with a tabla ring doesn't cut it, especialy when tying frets.

I was thinking of two upright legs which would attach to the upper and lower neck. Then you could sit on a chair in front. Alternatively, a kind of rack that would sit on top of a table or the floor. Enough to hold the sitar in place and protect it from rolling (or wayward feet!) I am looking for ideas, just in case someone else has done this.

thanks,
Pb

Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #2 
Greetings, Element. You're 1/2 way home with the tabla ring. I set up my rack with a tabla ring, larger than standard and quite a bit cushier for the gourd end. Making a ring like this, or a good tabla ring is done two ways. 1. wrap a piece of garden hose around a saucepan or similar to get the correct approx. diameter. Cut hose. Insert a 2" long wood dowel 1/2 way into one end off hose. Nail it in position. Same now to other end. Voila! Basic ring. 2. Twist an old beach towel into a long "cord". Wrap around saucepan to get desired ring. Wrap towel ring with electrical or duct tape like bicycle handlebar tape. There's your basic ring.
Now, with either #1. or #2. ring, get a beach towel and cut 3" wide strips on the bias (that's at a 45 degree angle to the threads). This has to be done at an angle!!! Wrap the towel strips like the duct tape. With the towel strips angle cut, they won't bunch up on the ring when being wrapped. They'll wrap nice and smooth. Big secret, this angle cut fabric! So, wrap till you've got the right thickness and stitch it all down. Exterior Fabric - same deal. There's the ring done. The other end involves 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood screwed and glued to form an inverted "T" when seen from the end. Length on mine is about 2 feet. Cut a yolk at the center for the neck to slip onto. Be sure to pad the hell outta this yolk area for obvious reasons. Both units are free standing on my workbench to allow for peg placement, nut placement, etc. Whole mess works great! Free standing allows positioning of sitar near workbench leading edge for fret tying room.

Reply with quote  #3 
Hey tony,
thanks for the info. Not sure if I follow completely. Let me clarify things in my head:
1. You have one stand, which the neck headstock rests on
2. you rest the base on the big tabla ring, which is on the floor?
So your sitar under maintenance is pretty much on a 45 degree angle? I hadn't thought of that one. I just assumed that people would use 2 "T"s. Do I understand correctly? Man a pic would be worth a 1000s sargams here
                                             |                                             |    +++++++                             |   | RING  |                         ========   +++++++                      rack for head stock
thanks, (hope that wonderful ascii art lines up!)
Pb
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Sitarfixer"
Greetings, Element. You're 1/2 way home with the tabla ring. I set up my rack with a tabla ring, larger than standard and quite a bit cushier for the gourd end. Making a ring like this, or a good tabla ring is done two ways. 1. wrap a piece of garden hose around a saucepan or similar to get the correct approx. diameter. Cut hose. Insert a 2" long wood dowel 1/2 way into one end off hose. Nail it in position. Same now to other end. Voila! Basic ring. 2. Twist an old beach towel into a long "cord". Wrap around saucepan to get desired ring. Wrap towel ring with electrical or duct tape like bicycle handlebar tape. There's your basic ring.
Now, with either #1. or #2. ring, get a beach towel and cut 3" wide strips on the bias (that's at a 45 degree angle to the threads). This has to be done at an angle!!! Wrap the towel strips like the duct tape. With the towel strips angle cut, they won't bunch up on the ring when being wrapped. They'll wrap nice and smooth. Big secret, this angle cut fabric! So, wrap till you've got the right thickness and stitch it all down. Exterior Fabric - same deal. There's the ring done. The other end involves 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood screwed and glued to form an inverted "T" when seen from the end. Length on mine is about 2 feet. Cut a yolk at the center for the neck to slip onto. Be sure to pad the hell outta this yolk area for obvious reasons. Both units are free standing on my workbench to allow for peg placement, nut placement, etc. Whole mess works great! Free standing allows positioning of sitar near workbench leading edge for fret tying room.

Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #4 
"Arre Bapri"! Element! Both the ring and the inverted 'T' are free standing on a workbench. The 'T' thing will be about 10" or so tall, whatever height that brings the sitar neck parallel to the workbench surface - (horizontal) while the gourd is nestled into the tabla type ring. Yep, a pic would say it all! Hope that clears it up.

Reply with quote  #5 
Paul
I have a pic of Tony working on my beauty in the way he mentions it. I'll send it to you.

BTW
I just received my receipt for same from India to send to those BAS****S at UK Customs so I can welcome my baby home at last.

Nick
element-82

Reply with quote  #6 
Ah yes, that clears things up! LOL! Thanks for the info. I thought you were building some sort of launch ramp for sk8ters

Pb
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Sitarfixer"
"Arre Bapri"! Element! Both the ring and the inverted 'T' are free standing on a workbench. The 'T' thing will be about 10" or so tall, whatever height that brings the sitar neck parallel to the workbench surface - (horizontal) while the gourd is nestled into the tabla type ring. Yep, a pic would say it all! Hope that clears it up.

element-82

Reply with quote  #7 
Hey nick,
cool. I'll send you 1000 words. Congrats on freeing the sitar. Have you got all your aquisitions home now?

Pb
Quote:
Originally Posted by "trippy
Paul
I have a pic of Tony working on my beauty in the way he mentions it. I'll send it to you.

BTW
I just received my receipt for same from India to send to those BAS****S at UK Customs so I can welcome my baby home at last.

Nick

Anonymous

Reply with quote  #8 
Yes, someone has come but with a horizontal stand. his name is Ken O'neill and it works well. If Lars is monitoring the forum, he has a lot more experience with it. We have a sample of the stand. We have asked Ken to build some more sitar stands for us for sale on the website. I hope he comes through.

Bharat
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.