INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
frank

Reply with quote  #1 
hello, all -

i'm new to the forum. can anyone suggest a good quality pickup for sitar.

//frank
neela sangeeta

Reply with quote  #2 
Barcus Berry outsider works for me. But you also need a preamp direct box such as L.R.Baggs Paracoustic D.I.
sitarman

Reply with quote  #3 
If I can toot a few credentials- I have sold pro sound gear and instruments for 30 years and tried a lot of pickups and mics! If you can afford a more high end one, the AKG C411 is superb. It needs to be phantom powered, wkich all modern mixers and most acoustic oriented guitar amps have. For more info you can contact me at my posted email.
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you, Sitarman. I've used the Barcus Berry model for years with great success. The configuration of it was my initial attraction. With its wire coming out the side, I'm able to position it under the main bridge and under the taraf strings just behind the taraf bridge. The wire then can be fed through an angle drilled hole on the tabli. The output jack is then set on a drilled hole on the tailpiece. Clean setup. The unit you suggest should work very well also. It looks easy to fit, too.

Reply with quote  #5 
wow, i would never drill into my sitar. eeeekkk!

anyone tried the KK Sound transducer type w/ mac-tack as the means of affixing it to the sitar?

//frank
frank

Reply with quote  #6 
thanks for all the info.

does anyone have experience (or know of) w/ this pickup?

http://www.kksound.com/bigtwin.html (recommended for sitar)

..//frank
Drew

Reply with quote  #7 
Frank,

This topic has been covered many a time... just go to the search and try pick ups or transducer.

here is a link to a previous post on the topic and I list what I use and so do others. On this post there are other links to pic's and descriptions of what I use.

http://66.139.254.145/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=193&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Ive heard mixed reviews about the K&k, I have not used them myself but, they are a little cheaper in price if that matters and Im sure are as good as the ones I use that are a little more expensive. I wouldnt know unless I tried them though. Ive seen someone on ebay for the past few weeks trying to sell a pair for very cheap.

for going electric.... The pre-amp is going to be the make'or'break factor on your pick ups. I say go with the LR Baggs Paracoustic all the way. Neela turned me on to this and its a treasure! There is no other product like it. All the others either dont have EQ or are extremely large in size. THe LR Baggs can fit in your back pocket and has tons of EQ !

I will say this though,,, you will never get the "natural" sound from any pick ups on the Sitar. Even when mic'ing theres going to be something missing. So, just keep that in mind and I dont think there is any way around this unless you pay top dollar for top equipment set up by a top sound man.

cheers

Always have 1 eye open
sitarman

Reply with quote  #8 
Frank, I sell K&K's and can vouche for their quality. I have heard many of their 3 transducer model, on guitar. I admit never having used one on sitar. What Drew states, that you won't get as natural a sound, as with a mic, is true, but I have used the AKG C411 and believe the tone is excellent and very natural. However, the chikari seem to overpower the playing strings a bit fore my taste. All told, if you need volume in a small space where miking is too feedback prone, the transducers sure take care of that problem. Good luck!
festus

Reply with quote  #9 
on Transducers......I have the K&K, Barcus Berry and Dean Markley tranducers (you can hardly tell the difference) they work as stated above....
if you go that route you'll have to use a separate EQ ( it doesn't have to be a 1/3 octave unit- it can be a stomp box EQ ) or a pre-amp with parametrics to get the best sound.

And as Sitarfixer described...the placement of the pick-ups is crucial to the sound your going to get.

For amplification - I use the Bose PAS L1 and I can't talk more highly of it .... but for what the Bose cost me I could of bought one of Sitarfixer's beauties ....... and someday I shall :wink:
rex@sitar.co.za

Reply with quote  #10 
Just for the record, we had a similar discussion a few month ago about miking sitars... there was some great stuff there guys, thanks again! Anyway, to let you know how it all panned out, I considered pickups, transducers and all the rest. I finally settled on a condensor mic - a Rode NT 3. The sound quality was stratospherically superior to anything I was getting from my transducer and dynamic mic experiments - the harmonics just shimmer. I've used it a couple of times playing live with a VERY loud rock band and have had no feedback problems once positioning and levels were fine tuned. What ultimately sold me on the mic was that it caputures that very difficult to quantify "acoustic space" of the instrument - something pickups and transducers just can't do. Any other thoughts?

Cheers,
Rex
festus

Reply with quote  #11 
I've used my Audio Technica ATM10 condensor and a EV RE20 mic here at my studio for years with GREAT results...
never have tried the Rode products yet...
but I'm not tired or proud in my search for the Holy Tone ... :wink:
sitarman

Reply with quote  #12 
Rex- Yes, the NT3 is a wonderful mic. I think the issue is very much a feedback issue, since in a studio situation (recording, not performing for an audience) you are only concerned with tone. That is the reason some acoustic players go to transducers instead of mics. Mics are unquestionably better as far as natural tone. I am always interested in users experiences with micing sitar in medium or small rooms where the speakers can't be positioned far away enough to make feedback less of a concern.
Drew

Reply with quote  #13 
Question for you Sitar Mic'ers out there....

If you are just going to your buddies to play/jam or whatever you want to call it.... and you have to go electric due to volume concerns...

what kind of speaker/amp do you use/take with you?

I find that if the Sitar is mic'd... you have to use at least a 10inch speaker to get the good full sound. Otherwise, its just too low and feels like something is missing. This is ok for going to studios cause they always have big speakers. But, not so good if your on your own.

I know that mic'ing a Sitar is much better for keeping the acoustic quality but, there is no way Im going to lug around a huge speaker as well as all my other gear.

Right now I use a transducer pick up with a VOX DA5 mini amp that has a 6.5 speaker. However, this little amp is the best thing since sliced bread. Cause whenever I go out and jam I also take my guitar and the amp works wonders for both. Not too mention that its 5watts of pure power. You would never guess how good the sound is and how loud this little 7 pound bad boy amp gets.

So again, Im just wondering what the Sitar Mic'ers plug into when not in a professional situation? Also, do you have your ownspeaker? mixer? pre-amp? or do you use a guitar/bass or keyboard amp?

cheers

Always have 1 eye open
sitarman

Reply with quote  #14 
Drew, you must be "jamming" with instruments other than Indian instruments, I assume, if you would need to amplify. As for playing for an audience, with traditional accompaniment (tabla), I have used a very small 4 input mixer with phantom power and the c411 transducer. The speaker(s) are powered JBL- fairly small- single 12 inch and tweeter tupe. I also love the sound of some acoustic guitar amps- Genz Benz, Roland AC60 (very compact), etc. Depends on the situation. Tabla uses a SM57 or 58. It works well. I do prefer a mic whenever feasible. However, for just getting together with my tabla friend or another sitar, I don't ever amplify.
neela sangeeta

Reply with quote  #15 
I do not have my own amp, so I generally use whatever is available. I prefer to use a proper PA. Guitar amps will work but generally sound tinny. I have to eq the highs all the way out (thanks LR Baggs). I have had good experience with small bass amps actually...
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.