INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
SurTaal

Reply with quote  #16 
I appreciate your insighful posts. Each instrument is majestic in its own right. I know I have to sit for a few days with each instrument and make a decision from there. However, I wanted to bear your collective wisdom in mind as I go through the process.

Dattani-ji,

Thank you for the raga list. I wish I had a few days to spend in Leicester.

Best Wishes,

SurTaal
evening84

Reply with quote  #17 
You may also want to listen to some jugalbandi (sitar-sarod) recordings. Ravi Shankar and Ali Akbar Khan have a few. There is a very good Palas Kafi and also one with a very good Durga. It is interesting to hear similar musical phrases played over both instruments one after the other. Personally, I found one a lot more pleasing than the other in that context.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #18 
Haldamos

Agreed but my groove is quite near but not NEXT to the nail as you do point out.

Remember a 'sarod nail' has to be quite long as it's liable for wearing & breaking as one plays.

From where does your style come?

Nick
Kanti Dattani

Reply with quote  #19 
Hi SurTaal,

You wrote,
>Thank you for the raga list. I wish I had a few days to spend in Leicester<

So do I. Since you can't, do not hesitate to write if you need any further information. If you prefer, send me an email (kantidattani@aol.com)

I entirely agree with evening84 about Jugalbandhi.

There are several jugalbandhi from RS and AAK.

Other Sitar/Sarod duets I have are

Ali Akbar Khan and Nikhil Banerjee
AMMP9405 (very good)

Partho Sarothy and Shubhendra Rao
SWM020 (outstanding)
CDNF150158 (v. good)

Rajeeb Chakrabarty and Reena Shrivastava
NICI081 (both v.gd)
NICI087

Tejendra Narayan and Shujaat Khan
IAM1025
IAM1043
IAM1067 (all three are very good, but this one is outstanding IMO)

Imrat Khan and Vajahat
ED1018 (v gd.)

Indranil Bhattacharya and Aashish Khan
NRCD072 (not recommended)
SN70994 (very good)

Irshad Khan and Nishat Khan
NI5233 (v gd.)

Best wishes,

Kanti Dattani
haldamos

Reply with quote  #20 
hi nick,

I see what you are saying, and since I have neve played sarod, i am in no position to disagree, and i take your word for it...

i was trying to say ideally, the groove should be visible if you look at the palm of your hand. If it is too far "up", then you lose leverage for meends, and speed decreases due to the increased friction (as you pointed out earlier). The fingers should be only slighly curved, so your first two fingers make almost a "peace" symbol. The higher the groove (and closer to the nail) then the more curved your fingers have to be..

Cheers!

Reply with quote  #21 
Haldamos

AGREED!!!!

Nick
raga.puriya

Reply with quote  #22 
Does anyone have recordings of (late)Indranil Bhattacharya ?

Exellent Sitar Player !

Better form of Pt. Ravi Shankar
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #23 
Indranil Bhattacharya plays on Ananda Shankar recordings, I think.

Certainly on the album called Ananda Shankar & His Music.

Nick
CheesecakeTomek

Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Something to balance it all out is the fact that getting a pure note out of a non-fretted instrument is certainly more difficult than placing a finger on a fret and sarod must therefore be more of a chore initially as far as intonation goes.
True, though I think a very similar amount of work goes into developing the meend. Though you wouldn't necessarily be working on that right away, it is a necessary technique that will be right around the corner if you pick up the sitar.
lakshman

Reply with quote  #25 
As a sarod player, here's my two cents:

If you're looking into "just getting into something" on the basis that you don't want to study it full-time, I would say go with sitar. It's a much easier instrument to get into because playing in tune on the sarod is much harder than on the sitar. Over time, playing sitar becomes harder because meends are more difficult, but getting into the sitar is much easier. As for long fingernails, thats debateable, as there are two ways to fret the strings, which are, to either have long fingernails and just use the nail, or use a combination of the nail and the finger (this is what my teacher does, what his father (Vasant Rai) did, what I do, etc.), so if you go that way, it's not too much of a concern, although the fingernail is still a bit longer than usual, but not that much, about flush with the tip of the finger.

Also, if you don't have strong nails, its a pain. My nails are torn up right now, making a clear sound very difficult. It also takes tons and tons of practice to get it to sound in tune, not to say that sitar doesn't require the same amount of practice, but initially, i would say sarod is more difficult to get into.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.