INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Brak

Reply with quote  #1 
I have a question that has bugged me for sometime.

Why is the nut on the sitar longer than the neck?
It also has grooves in it was well.

Both my sitars have this, as well as other sitars I have seen.

Why is it as it is?

Thanks in advance.

Amerikon

Reply with quote  #2 
I doubt there's any real functional reason for it. It does usually have some kind of carving on the part that extends past the neck. At this point it is most likely for decoration, but I wouldn't be suprised at all if it was originally devotional. Check out the thread "ornamental birds on tabli" as this thread is overlapping with that discussion.
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #3 
I've found a great use for that extension piece though I doubt I've ressurected the original function. With a double slotted chikari post that supports the 5th. and 6th. strings on a kharaj sitar, I reroute the 5th. string from its peg to a mark 1/8" away from the neck under that extension piece. From there the string goes straight to the inboard slot on the wider chikari post and finally onto the bridge and tail. It's perfect! The fingers are now cleared for complete access to the 4th. string. I suppose that extension could serve as a mizrab parking spot. Origin of piece unknown. I'll ask the Miraj homies tomorrow. Cheers!

Reply with quote  #4 
I also use this extention (learned from Tony) for re-routing the chikari string. I could easily believe that the original intent was for this purpose and/or the "parking" of extra mizrabs. One of my sitars has a 1/16" wide slot, ending in a 1/8" hole that is perfect to hang a mizrab on. This slot is the "mouth" of the dragon-type critter carving.
Interesting to hear what Tony's homies have to say about it.
TK

Joshua Feinberg

Reply with quote  #5 
hi,

that extra piece of bone is usually carved in such a way that it represents the goddess Saraswati, who is the goddess of music and learning.

best,
jf

Brak

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Amerikon"
I doubt there's any real functional reason for it. It does usually have some kind of carving on the part that extends past the neck. At this point it is most likely for decoration, but I wouldn't be suprised at all if it was originally devotional. Check out the thread "ornamental birds on tabli" as this thread is overlapping with that discussion.
Can you give mea link to that thread?
Thanks!

Monica

Reply with quote  #7 
Hey Tony,

My 5th string has no clearance between the nut and the peg and so it has been eating into the side of my sitar. It seems to me that your double-string post and nut trick would solve the problem.

Is the best option for me to buy a (longer) 7th string chikary post, grind off the groove, regroove it for two strings, and adjust its height to match the original 6th string post?

Thanks!

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.