INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
coyootie

Reply with quote  #1 
jeez this better upload!
I'll be posting stuff as work progresses. if anyone emails me, please don't be miffed if i don't respond, this takes a lotta time already as it is!
oh crap, all the descriptions of the pics disappeared. will try to make sure this works on the next set of pics!
one thing to note, i buff and wax the heads of pegs only. after handling and playing the pegs develop a beautiful patina-look at a well played violin. i made these pegs of bolivian rosewood which is gorgeous stuff. i hadn't worked with it before but it turns beautifully. the pic "smallpegs' shows on the left a peg pulled from a 1980 Kanai Lal -the whole set of taraf pegs was done so poorly i am astonished the player could tune it at all!!! the one on the right is even more appalling, oval in cross section and filed crookedly by a completely inept idiot. the 3 in middle will be the tarafs on my sitar. I'm using a 1:25 lute/gamba peg borer for the pegholes which works very well for the size/shape of sitar pegs.
it took 5 days to make templates for my penmaking lathe and turn,file and carve the pegs. if i make another sitar later, the templates will make it go much easier.
the spanish cedar i got for this instrument is great stuff. the piece i used for the neck was quartersawn and will give max stiffness and strength. it also rings like a marimba key when you tap it so i have high hopes for the sound of the finished product.
http://wobblier.myphotoalbum.com
Roland

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Coyootie,
Just finished viewing your pics.Just enchanting to see the the process. Thanks for sharing this.Since I've joined the forum and read the messages on repair, I've become more interested in the construction part of the instrument.The large tuning pegs are great.Would you make a set to order ?
cheers , Roland
tligen

Reply with quote  #3 
link
http://wobblier.myphotoalbum.com

does not work

Reply with quote  #4 
it does seem to work every time i checked it-
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #5 
"Works for me"! Question - are you joining the neck and the gulu with a tongue / groove ??? Didn't look like it from the pics but I'm not there! Some kind of fun isn't it ??? Press on !!!!!

Reply with quote  #6 
namaste howdy excellent Tony! yup i do plan on doing a tongue/groove joint,similar to the one in the pic you'd generously sent. haven't gotten that far, that's a challenging bit of engineering, also the layout/visualizing of gulu and tumba joint.question for you: when you describe a 'wooden pin' instead of screws, how do ya do that?
keep yore TV's on for the next exciting installment of "Whiteman Builds an Ethnic Lute".
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.