INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
coyootie

Reply with quote  #1 
got the recycled ivory piano keys which will be lovely for inlays and tops of fret rails.
fitting the tailpiece here, another long tedious job to get a good fit. i got a contour gauge (red thingie on the right side of this assemblage) to make fitting the wood to the tumba easier-heads up Tony this also works great for fitting leaves to tumbas! since i'm using the same dark rosewood as the pegs i paint it with whiteout so i can actually see what i'm doing when marking for sizes etc.this all gets scraped off later.
i'm going to sandwich pieces if sambar antler on the top edge and just under where the notches will be for string loops. i will also use 3 bone pins for the tarafs. seems to me that distributing them on several pins will enable easier replacing when they pop, make a strong joint through the tailpiece/tumba/inside reinforcement .... doesn't make a lot of sense mechanically to have all 13 strings attached to 1 pin when it can be done on several.
i pinned the tabli with 4 bamboo locator pegs to keep it in place before glueing. i have some ivory inlay laid on the bottom edge of the tabli to figure out where it will go. as the sitar has some weird compound/assymetric angles between the tabli,gulu, neck, the masters of yore compensated for this when arranging placements for inlays around the tabli.
the thinner pieces of ivory will bend /glue/pin easily around the edge of the tabli without any special technique.
started shaping a piece of sambar for the tailpiece-whoo stinky biz that.
http://www.wobblier.myphotoalbum.com
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #2 
Hey, there, Coyootie! Baby is lookin' g o o d ! Coming along nicely. The sandwich tailpiece is the way to go. Having the sambar pieces go across from how the string loops would cut will prevent any loop tabs from being sheared off. All my babies are now set up this way. Having a single pin for all 12 - 13 taraf strings snugs them all together and allows a little more road bed for the duckies to do their thing. It's great to distribute the load those strings put on one post over to three posts. Will there be room between the top string tabs for the taraf feeders to get between ??? Seems to me it might get a little cluttered with the extra pins. Your baby all the way, though. Keep us posted. We all lovin these pics. Cheers!

Reply with quote  #3 
-you will see, oh good man, how the taraf pins are planted under main string notches! an ancient oriental secret no doubt-hee hee. you may recall that tailpiece i retrofitted on my hirenroy with 13 bronze pins ( can only do dat in sambar tailpiece,wood wouldn't be hard enough) whcih worked zippily, but this time i'm opting for a little simpler.
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #4 
I do recall. Still have that tailpiece pic on file. Lovely! Get to work!
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.