INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Sign up Calendar Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
mpnikhil

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 14
Reply with quote  #1 

Hi all,

Wanted to recommend a little known sitar maker family the Bhattacharyas from Varanasi. I acquired a travel sitar from them a couple of years ago after watching someone play one of their instruments on youtube. I love it. Over a couple of years the travel sitar has opened up beautifully and sounds fantastic acoustically.

http://www.shardamusiccentre.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Musical-Instrument-Store/Sharda-Music-Centre-752926838095326/

Artists such as KG Westman and Stian Grimstad get their sitars from them and recommend them highly.

http://www.shardamusiccentre.com/about-the-instruments.html

http://www.kgwestman.com/links.html

Here "Mizrabfingers" can be heard playing their full size & travel sitars.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsDxHniH6PyZobrnt1LHd_g

Sitarsencat used to carry their instruments but I am not sure if they are in operation any more.

http://www.sitarsencat.com/prod-sitar-sitars-tabla-india/294/sharda-musical

They have a couple of full size sitars ready for shipping one in angurpatta and another in gulabpatta artwork (pics and sample videos available) . Prices with a fiber case and shipping to the US are around $650.

P.S. I am not affiliated with them. Just wanted to spread the word based on my experience with getting a sitar from them and help them out in these tough times.

0
mpnikhil

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 14
Reply with quote  #2 
Pics of the sitars: 
https://photos.app.goo.gl/w8n5sptFvWJNxmBVA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RbVAqVWe1NfgB2cD9 : Video sample of the angurpatta sitar

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1k7FJkJkpcevxe4i6 : Video sample of the gulabpatta sitar

Could people who know better than me render an opinion? 

0
barend

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,225
Reply with quote  #3 
There is very little specific info about the sitars on their website. Also very little pictures. So if you haven't played them yourself you can't say much about it I guess. Not sure why they don't put a name tag on those two sitars you mention? I would like to know more about this maker. Maybe some people here know more?
0
mpnikhil

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 14
Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Barend,

From what I know it is a very small operation, which likely contracted when Mr Bhattacharya passed away a few years ago. It is now only Mrs. Bhattacharya running it with some help. I have seen some tags on KG Westman's sitars but the ones shown on Sitarsencat do not show any tags. I will check with them. 

https://www.stockholmsangeet.se/uploads/event/artist/AXS_38_UR18.jpg 

This shows an older tag "S K Bhattacharya Varanasi". I think you can see this instrument i many of his videos.  
0
katyrow

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 327
Reply with quote  #5 
I had one of these for a brief period.  Seemed like a decent inexpensive instrument.  

https://www.vintagesitars.com/product-page/s-k-bhattacharya-kharaj-pancham-sitar
0
barend

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,225
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyrow
I had one of these for a brief period.  Seemed like a decent inexpensive instrument.  

https://www.vintagesitars.com/product-page/s-k-bhattacharya-kharaj-pancham-sitar


Only decent (in the sense of average) or up to par with the more famous makers? Not judging anything, just curious....
0
katyrow

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 327
Reply with quote  #7 
Hey Barend.

The original post mentioned a price of $650, including delivery to the US.  That seems very inexpensive, even for a student instrument.  The one I had, which I bought used from a local player, would have been a good buy at that price.  The same seller may fit instruments that are both higher and lower tier than the one I had.  My experience with these is limited to that single instrument.

Here's a different one from the archives:

https://www.vintagesitars.com/product-page/2004-sk-bhattacharya-kharaj-pancham-sitar
0
barend

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,225
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyrow
Hey Barend.

The original post mentioned a price of $650, including delivery to the US.  That seems very inexpensive, even for a student instrument.  The one I had, which I bought used from a local player, would have been a good buy at that price.  The same seller may fit instruments that are both higher and lower tier than the one I had.  My experience with these is limited to that single instrument.

Here's a different one from the archives:

https://www.vintagesitars.com/product-page/2004-sk-bhattacharya-kharaj-pancham-sitar


Yes I meant how the higher range sitars of this maker compare to other famous makers or the Miraj makers.
0
katyrow

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 327
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by barend


Yes I meant how the higher range sitars of this maker compare to other famous makers or the Miraj makers.


I don't know whether they sell higher range sitars.  
0
barend

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,225
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyrow


I don't know whether they sell higher range sitars.  


Yes, that's what I am trying to find out. I can't get that from the pictures or the little info on the website and facebook. Their sitars are entry level price wise but are they also entry level quality wise?
Most of the times this goes hand in hand I know but maybe this is different?

There are many entry level sitar makers. Doesn't mean they are bad but I am more interested in the higher/top level.
0
katyrow

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 327
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by barend


Yes, that's what I am trying to find out. I can't get that from the pictures or the little info on the website and facebook. Their sitars are entry level price wise but are they also entry level quality wise?
Most of the times this goes hand in hand I know but maybe this is different?

There are many entry level sitar makers. Doesn't mean they are bad but I am more interested in the higher/top level.


Hey Barend.  Now I'm curious too.  I've sent them an email asking about their sitars and surbahars.  If they respond, I will post it here.  I also sent the link to this thread in case they want to respond directly.  Thanks.  Carl
0
mpnikhil

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 14
Reply with quote  #12 
FB messenger may be faster to get in touch with them.
0
katyrow

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 327
Reply with quote  #13 
Received a few photos of a sitar and a tanpura, attached.  Will post info if they send it.  Thx.

IMG20200806143055.jpg  IMG20200806143107.jpg  IMG20200806143503.jpg  IMG20200806143515.jpg 

0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.