INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
interesting_steve@yahoo.com

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Everyone.
I am new to the site. I have a couple of sitars but was curious about the age of the latest one I have bought. My guess is 40 years old plus ? As you can see the brand is Vilayat Husen & Brothers, Miraj. Any info would be interesting.
Thanks

Attached Images
jpeg 20200710_234242.jpg (194.28 KB, 24 views)

Lars

Reply with quote  #2 
I usually chat with folks from Miraj a few times a week. So I asked about this one.

Vilayat Husen was known for making good tanpuras, sitars weren't great. Until about 20 years ago Miraj sitars modeled tanpura design which is what the region was known for. Once Kolkata bodies started showing up the structure makers adjusted their methods with the help of a few makers there and now they've 'caught up' but retained some of the flavor of the tanpura in sound projection. Mind you this is for instruments made there, it's costs more so some folks opt for Kolkata bodies which are cheaper.

That sitar probably at least 40 years old. The maker is not working any longer, they had a large shop which is now a beauty shop. One of his sons does repair work in Mumbai. And that's the scoop I got and all I know for a Tuesday...

Lars

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars
I usually chat with folks from Miraj a few times a week. So I asked about this one.

Vilayat Husen was known for making good tanpuras, sitars weren't great. Until about 20 years ago Miraj sitars modeled tanpura design which is what the region was known for. Once Kolkata bodies started showing up the structure makers adjusted their methods with the help of a few makers there and now they've 'caught up' but retained some of the flavor of the tanpura in sound projection. Mind you this is for instruments made there, it's costs more so some folks opt for Kolkata bodies which are cheaper.

That sitar probably at least 40 years old. The maker is not working any longer, they had a large shop which is now a beauty shop. One of his sons does repair work in Mumbai. And that's the scoop I got and all I know for a Tuesday...

Lars

interesting_steve@yahoo.com

Reply with quote  #4 
Many thanks Lars for that great info. I guessed it would be about 40 years old. Looking forward to the items I bought off you recently, which are for this sitar. I have been working on it for 3 days and now is playable again. Got quite attached to it. Hopefully it will be good for quite a few more years.
Thanks
Steve Thompson
UK
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.