INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
rex@sitar.co.za

Reply with quote  #16 
Rikhi Ram claims this sitar can be tuned to E:

http://www.rikhiram.com/detail.php?products_id=26
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #17 
42 inches, that would be close to tony's suggestion of a shorter sitar, the sitar is normally 48 inches in height. What I really wonder about is how playable is the "5" inch Tabli?

Bharat
neela sangeeta

Reply with quote  #18 
Tuning the second string to E is far from ideal. but it works for certain situations that call for E or A tuning. Especially as I do not change the tuning of the main string, but just play from pa or re (A or E).
Neel
sitariya

Reply with quote  #19 
Does anyone know how these sitar players who perform for bollywood films tune their sitars ? Are these special sitars ? These sitars are tuned to the scale the singer is singing and they sound really nice. Some of the meend work is also really nice. I tuned my sitar to E and I have really tough time pulling long meends on the sitar ( R ~ P).
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #20 
I know that you didn't believe me, and Tony said it wouldn't sound good, but please believe me that if you use a .011 for first string and .014 to .016 for the second string, you can tune to E (Safed 3) and the sitar will sound good. Normally you use .011 instead of #3 (.012) for students and young players, but on a regular sitar and tuned up to E the sitar actually wound very good and light, which is the way the bollywood sitars sound to my ears.

Bharat
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #21 
Bharat's correct. With a .011 string, you can get the 'E' setup. It will sound like a high sitar. My opinion of how good it sounds is tainted by too many mornings being woken up by the ever screaching playbacks from those two immortal playback singers, those split tailed, long legged double breasted dog whistles, those profanely dubbed "nightinggales of India". There, how's that for a rant !?! Back to the sitar. With the .011 wire tuned, if you like it, great. If the "Kraft Single" element is kicking in, maybe a little jawari is in order. Frets may also need to be shifted a bit, especially in the higher register. Play on!

Reply with quote  #22 
Bharat,

I did not say I donot believe you. I told u I am going to try it. I will let you know my experience. For sitarfixer, even though I am primarily a classical music fan, I do enjoy light classical music, beautiful sitar pieces for many old lata songs specially Madan Mohan songs. Many of these pieces are played by our masters. Listen to lata's majestic songs in movie Anuradha ( music director Ravi Shankar) has beautiful sitar pieces played by none other the master himself.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.