INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
soul1newyorkcity

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey guys... My teacher is leaving New York for a few months to tour and perform in India, Turkey and Pakistan for about 2 months... I'm pretty current with all of our exercises... We are supposed to try Skype lessons but I feel like the time difference might not allow for this very often...

I was wondering if anybody could post some useful stuff for me to experiment with to a keep my skills sharp while he is away... Maybe different Sargam/scales....

Soul
Neal

Reply with quote  #2 
http://sitarplayer.net/How_To_Play_Sargam_Tutorial
soul1newyorkcity

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for the link.... Some of them are pretty fun and ones I didn't know.. Should keep my busy for a bit...

Any more complicated ones to suggest??
povster

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "soul1newyorkcity"
Thanks for the link.... Some of them are pretty fun and ones I didn't know.. Should keep my busy for a bit...

Any more complicated ones to suggest??
I have to ask, is there a reason you are not asking your teacher for this?

CheesecakeTomek

Reply with quote  #5 
I'm seconding povster on this. You should be asking your teacher this, so that he/she can give you something that fits right in with what you are doing. Also- there is nothing wrong, and in fact there is everything good, with doing what you already have a few hundredthousand more times (as terrible as it sounds). That would certainly be keeping you sharp. Think of it as an exercise in concentration. Anyways, just a suggestion, it's really not my business to say what you should do.

On another note, an interesting little bit I found in the above link. In that quote about sargam, Anwarji mentions that it is good for breaking in a new mizrab. I never really though of a mizrab needing breaking in. Is this anything significant? Just something that caught my attention...

Cheers,
Tomek
soul1newyorkcity

Reply with quote  #6 
I did ask my teacher this many times... and he was sure that we'd be able to communicate via Skype... But I own my own business and am super bust everyday until pretty late and the time difference just seems like unless he's able to give me a lesson at 3.4.5 am his time.. The lessons might not happen...

2 months with NO lessons just seems like an eternity for me. But I will definatly keep working on all of our excercises and the new ones from the previous post. I'm sure I'm just worrying about nothing... and I'm sure I'm just a little curious about new material as well... I trust everybodys advice and will keep working everything...

Soul
Mulamoodan

Reply with quote  #7 
http://www.scribd.com/doc/7328324/Sitar-Exercises
Good one
mitenp

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/7328324/Sitar-Exercises
Good one

Thanks for the link. Very useful! [thumb]

Does anyone know the book this chapter 2 has been sourced from?

Thanks,

Miten
desh

Reply with quote  #9 
"Does anyone know the book this chapter 2 has been sourced from?"

Hi, yes I actually uploaded that with a bunch of other sitar stuff to Scribd years ago!!!! If I remember correctly, the exercises are from a book from the Ali Akbar College and transcribed by one of Ustad AAK's senior students.  

You can see the rest of sitar related documents I loaded up using this link:

https://www.scribd.com/user/3854054/api-3854054

You will also see another document with scales and chalans that may be of help.

mitenp

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:

Hi, yes I actually uploaded that with a bunch of other sitar stuff to Scribd years ago!!!! 

Have been searching online to find who it was and the source of the book since came across it this year. Many many thanks [thumb][thumb]

Presume you don't have the rest of the chapters?

Have seen the other docs and slowly working through them too.

Cheers

jaysitar22

Reply with quote  #11 
Maybe you could practise what you have, but sing it or use it as a meend excercise? Have you recorded your playing and analyzed it as if you were your teacher, is your stuff memorized, have you played it with tabla? I think permutations patterns are good practice material, either meerkhand or Guthava patterns with meend, vocal, or with bol patterns. 

Practice technique in isolation to sharpen your playing, either bol patterns, especially keeping diri going, LH excercises, or a combination of both. Practice your music but with bols or jhala.  Solkattu for sharping rythmic sense is good.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.