Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
ragamala

Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "povster"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Greg"
Pardon?
errr -that was a bit of a jest - I did answer your callous observation in full previsously. ::sigh - lose the East Coast humor, Pov::
Well I am lost in this - even if I live on the East Coast (of Italy).

But would love to understand the humour - oops sorry humor.

Re the matter in question, fwiw I seem to remember from my young days the recommendation was that a regular application of surgical spirit would toughen up the skin, harden softening calluses etc. Not to mention sterilising the wound if you overdo it and crack the skin!
povster

Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "ragamala"
Well I am lost in this - even if I live on the East Coast (of Italy).

But would love to understand the humour - oops sorry humor.
Are you TRYING to humiliate me, ragamala? ops:

OK, seriously, it is a line from an old television show of the late 70's - mid 80's called Diff'rent Strokes. The line was oft uttered by Gary Coleman, then a cute little kid, indicating that someone said something he either disbelieved or did not quite understand. In this case it was the latter, as I had a hard time understanding (visualizing) Greg's description.

I hope this explanation is sufficient. If it is not then I have no recourse except to offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

ragamala

Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Are you TRYING to humiliate me, ragamala? .
Er...... not at all..

Thanks you for that explanation I am now re-educated.

Ish - especially after a bit of googling.
But who was Willis?

Maybe I should start introducing more English catchphrases into my posts dating from my west coast (Blackpool) upbringing. If there were more more ladies participating in the forums I could use eg "She knows, you know" as an ambiguous credit to a post, or "just like that" when someone is trying to make out something is dead simple when I am bamboozled. Or "Don't some mothers 'ave 'em" when being rude about another forum member's post.

If anyone can guess the link between gary Coleman and the last quote, and the link between me, the last quote and Trippy then this must be worth a prize.

P.S.
Is that hand problem still the trigger finger one you reported recently? I hope that's coming on OK.
povster

Reply with quote  #19 
Willis was the older brother in the tv show to whom Gary Coleman would often say "What you talking about, Willis?"

Yes, it is the trigger finger in the right hand accompanied by probelms with the base of the thumb. Got a cortisone shot last week and was advised to wait 6 weeks from then before making any kind of determination. Sometimes the hand is pain free and siometimes rather painful. But the nature and quality of the pain has differed markedly since the shot, and the triggering itself is much less. But I have been playing less too. Time will tell.

ragamala

Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Willis was the older brother in the tv show to whom Gary Coleman would often say "What you talking about, Willis?"

Yes, it is the trigger finger in the right hand accompanied by probelms with the base of the thumb. Got a cortisone shot last week and was advised to wait 6 weeks from then before making any kind of determination. Sometimes the hand is pain free and siometimes rather painful. But the nature and quality of the pain has differed markedly since the shot, and the triggering itself is much less. But I have been playing less too. Time will tell.
Oh dear - hope it all sorts out...

It's my knees that have really done for my playing... I was very sad to see Hariprasad Chaurasia last year having to have the stage changed because he couldn't sit cross-legged any more. At least playing the flute or singing there are alternatives, if the normal sitting posture is a problem. A bit different from sitar/been/sarangi playing, although sarangi playing is possible seated on a chair it doesn't seem at all right....

So maybe (returning to the topic) a little callus problem is a minor consideration compared to what could happen later to interfere with playing ability and pleasure....
Mulamoodan

Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Quote:
It's my knees that have really done for my playing... I was very sad to see Hariprasad Chaurasia last year having to have the stage changed because he couldn't sit cross-legged any more. At least playing the flute or singing there are alternatives, if the normal sitting posture is a problem. A bit different from sitar/been/sarangi playing, although sarangi playing is possible seated on a chair it doesn't seem at all right....
You can always sit in a bench and play sitar. It is a little unsightly, but in fact more convenient than sitting on floor (at least for me..). Or get an electric sitar and hang it from your neck..

Here is Shujaat Khan playing sitting on chair:
ragamala

Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Mulamoodan"
You can always sit in a bench and play sitar. It is a little unsightly, but in fact more convenient than sitting on floor (at least for me..). Or get an electric sitar and hang it from your neck..

Right - I can't check out the video but believe you...

But sitting above on a chair/bench/whatever is OK for practice, but to play with other people to be above their level is not on.

Which is why eg I referred to HPC having a stage alteration, he had to have the section of stage in front of him removed, so his legs could, er, dangle, whilst still remaining at the main stage level of his accompanists.

I remember seeing some old photos of maharajas playing sarangi or sitar sitting on chairs - presumably they were above such considerations and more interested in posing than playing.
haldamos

Reply with quote  #23 
Ragamala,

Since you could not view the video, just wanted to let you know that this was a studio session for a semi-classical piece...he doesn't use a chair or bench in a clasical setting.

PH
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Mulamoodan"

Right - I can't check out the video but believe you...

But sitting above on a chair/bench/whatever is OK for practice, but to play with other people to be above their level is not on.

Which is why eg I referred to HPC having a stage alteration, he had to have the section of stage in front of him removed, so his legs could, er, dangle, whilst still remaining at the main stage level of his accompanists.

I remember seeing some old photos of maharajas playing sarangi or sitar sitting on chairs - presumably they were above such considerations and more interested in posing than playing.

Reply with quote  #24 
Hey everyone,

Maybe it's worth trying out some of these finger cots?

http://www.fingercots.net/16_mil_ESD_finger_cots.php
coughcapkittykat

Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "haldamos"
Ragamala,

Since you could not view the video, just wanted to let you know that this was a studio session for a semi-classical piece...he doesn't use a chair or bench in a clasical setting.

PH
Really interesting thread here and extremely interesting video of Shujaat that I haven't found before.

The video makes me wonder though, what treatments usually get applied to sitar. I've always been very impressed by SK's recorded sitar sound. I would guess a lot of compression, eq, short as well as long reverb. Maybe some chorus?
rex@sitar.co.za

Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "coughcapkittykat"
I've always been very impressed by SK's recorded sitar sound. I would guess a lot of compression, eq, short as well as long reverb. Maybe some chorus?
I think you might just be hearing the "completely closed" jawari that Shujaat plays on.
His sitar sounds just like his recordings when he plays live, unmiked.
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #27 
My keys to maintaining a good sitar callus is sleeping with my hand in a pickle jar all night for at least 2-3 days per week. I like the "Claussen" brand from their Jewish Dills, as it seems to really make good effect after one week.

Secondly, I avoid taking a shower at all costs, unless there is some honey there to scrub me while I keep my hand tied to the shower curtain rod with one of them ropes from "soap-onna-rope" thingies. Above all, never let her suck on that finger at all, as women like to "get you in the mood" that way, tricksters as they are!

The only time I wear any type of glove is when I'm driving, you know, truckers arm and all? The sun tends to dry the sitar finger out, but the rushing wind strips off all oils after a few hours. The oil is driven backwards, both under the nail and into the wrist area, backwards and to the left, backwards and to the left, ya don't want that.

Oh, and if you play keyboards, you haffta give it up. Too much pressure on the keys merely flatten out the groove that the baj taar makes, rendering the sucker utterly useless. Speaking of utters, do drink plenty of milk, as lactics from the milk help build heathy bodies and sitar calluses.

Another thing you're gonna like is having to give up most yard work, as shovel and rake handles reek havoc on sitar calluses. Besides, that's what the honey's are for. After the shower, I set back with a beer watching Lar's video's, while the honey is doing the yard work.

Reply with quote  #28 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.