INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
drozzy

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello from Australia!

Just a quick question. I'm primarily a percussionist who is looking to purchase some world/ethnic instruments to add to some recordings, and have stumbled across a small sitar on australian ebay, and even mroe convenient is the fact that the seller lives a stones throw away.

My question, you sitar(ists?) with more experience then I, could you have a look over this and see if it is worth the expense of 200 australian dollars? I have little knowledge on the matter, and would be very appreciative of any response.

Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Student-Sitar-Quarter-Size-Hand-Crafted_W0QQitemZ200182603344QQihZ010QQcategoryZ123348QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't want to sink money into something that will eventuate into an unusable novelty.

All help is much appreciated!

Cheers,

Tom
daz199

Reply with quote  #2 
that's a toy...not an instrument

i don't know how australian dollars compare, but you can get an ok sitar for a very cheap price on ebay....but you get what you pay for, so depends on how interested you are

and a real sitar is a lot bigger, and has more frets..

it's like buying this if you wanted a guitar
http://www.craxor.com/foftar/Guitar-big.jpg

if you get one, make sure it looks something like this

http://www.magictails.com/abydos/images/mid-east/stringed/large/sitar_fancy_RKS.jpg[/img]
drozzy

Reply with quote  #3 
I understood that it was a smaller scale sitar, but knew that something was off about the whole thing.

I might as well divert these funds over to some more percussive equipment, and possibly the purchase of an Oud.

The exchange rate would sit 200 australian dollars at around 170/180 US dollars.
daz199

Reply with quote  #4 
yep, definately a rip off for that price..
sitars are very cool, if you want to spend a bit more try it out
or else get a hang drum! those things look like a lot of fun
drozzy

Reply with quote  #5 
This was his reply to my email informing him of the cancellation of the sale:

"This instrument is not a toy mate, its a handmade 'baskar': which is a student level sitar. there are cheap imitations and trinkets on ebay, which i just looked up, and you can see the difference between mine and theres, specifically the unique toomba shape,quality of the wood, and general playability etc. When i was backpacking through Rajhastan , i stayed with the Panji family, above there instrument market place , and Shrivati put this together for me in the two weeks i stayed in Andpur. They have relatives who run a south indian cuisine on bligh street, sydney- i was there on sunday night and was scolded for the $200 quick sale with which i offered you .You can begin to appreciate what was on offer for you. You'll find that every authentic indian instrument has a life story, and has passed with love into its owners hands. its unlike anything you would find with a guitar, they are unique to the Jarapa ( Sitar Crafter ) and retain the qualities of his art."

Still, despite his reassurance, i still think, despite having a few stylistic differences from the 'toys' on ebay, that it is a cheap, inferior instrument.
element-82

Reply with quote  #6 
That is quite the sob story. (do you feel guilty ) I would recommend saving your money and get a real sitar. I think you just dodged a wall ornament.
Here is my experience buying a sitar: http://sitarplayer.net/Buying_A_Sitar_Part_1

Pb
Quote:
Originally Posted by "drozzy"

"This instrument is not a toy mate, its a handmade 'baskar': which is a student level sitar. there are cheap imitations and trinkets on ebay, which i just looked up, and you can see the difference between mine and theres, specifically the unique toomba shape,quality of the wood, and general playability etc. When i was backpacking through Rajhastan , i stayed with the Panji family, above there instrument market place , and Shrivati put this together for me in the two weeks i stayed in Andpur. They have relatives who run a south indian cuisine on bligh street, sydney- i was there on sunday night and was scolded for the $200 quick sale with which i offered you .You can begin to appreciate what was on offer for you. You'll find that every authentic indian instrument has a life story, and has passed with love into its owners hands. its unlike anything you would find with a guitar, they are unique to the Jarapa ( Sitar Crafter ) and retain the qualities of his art."

Still, despite his reassurance, i still think, despite having a few stylistic differences from the 'toys' on ebay, that it is a cheap, inferior instrument.

daz199

Reply with quote  #7 
ok, then it's like buying a ukelele if you wanted a guitar, at best! 8)
princessjesusbopeep

Reply with quote  #8 
i used it exntensivly on recording an EP,
i wanna hear that ep!
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #9 
Dude, that guy selling it is totally full of shit.
There is no such thing as a "Mini" student style sitar.
The only "Student" style sitars are the ones that are full size but do not have the sympathetic strings.
That is a little toy that tourists buy to put on the shelf for the look.
Even if it were a real kind of instrument you can tell from the decoration that it is a low low quality instrument that one would find in a market place next to a plastic statue of Ganesh and a bunch of prayer beads.

Boy I would hate to hear the EP he used it "extensively" on.
I wonder if the EP also features toy piano and Kazoo.

Save up and buy a real one.
Even a full size sitar that is built at that quality would be almost unusable.
I have played them and they dont work.
sitardoc

Reply with quote  #10 
if it looks like crap, crap it is. i saw one of these midget units in a trashy indian junk store in San Francisco. i busted a gut. looked more like a mutant flyswatter than anything else. watch for advice from the people here and ask questions frequently. i recently alerted the forum to a so-called Hiren Roy on esmeg that was anything but. the result was that another member alerted esmeg and the firewood got pulled. i can't say that you might not run into a decent instrument from someone who's just clearing the closet-but these events are rare. another warning. a preponderance of the shit you see on ebay comes from mideast mfg. in florida. AVOID THEM AT ALL COSTS-unless you want to drop a few hundred bucks getting it set up correctly. keep looking and keep asking-the people here are glad to help.
peace
-the doc
povster

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "drozzy"

I am confused. In the ebay listing he states "I purchased this Sitar from an Indian antiquities dealer when i first considered playing the beautiful Sitar." In the email to you he states "i stayed with the Panji family, above there instrument market place , and Shrivati put this together for me in the two weeks i stayed in Andpur". Something just ain't right - or am I missing something?

trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #12 
Yes It's one of those TINY tiny sitar wall hangings. I wouldn't give a fiver for it. I have several on my wall. One sitar type made a great 5 string instrumental Raviji tanpura. 8)

'No longer available for sale' it says. Does nobody have a five year old that needs a baseball bat?!?!!?!?

Nick
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.