INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
barend

Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitar_shah

I also have an all-black replica for a different sitar. One of the string slots was broken and Lars was able to fix the slot in the process of making the replica bridge

It certainly is unique. It’s just personal taste and I just prefer a more traditional look. All black would be nice especially on a VK sitar. Do you have a picture of that? Very good that Lars makes these replica bridges.

Does Barun still use the same resin as on his older sitars from 10 years ago or so? I have one and I think that resin feels and looks very smooth.
Lars

Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by barend

It certainly is unique. It’s just personal taste and I just prefer a more traditional look. All black would be nice especially on a VK sitar. Do you have a picture of that? Very good that Lars makes these replica bridges.

Does Barun still use the same resin as on his older sitars from 10 years ago or so? I have one and I think that resin feels and looks very smooth.

That bridge was probably one his brother Amit made in Japan, they were quite good and Barun used them for awhile back when I was importing from him. He must have run out of them, the later ones looked like a resin that was loaded with talc or some other powder. They sounded good but were/are brittle and you'd get the black spots in them. I had this issue with some of my earlier formulas too, it happens when you use certain fillers. I tried antler dust once which reacted with the resin and created quite a show.....After many years a chemist took pity on me and helped me dial in a formula that is now permanent. Sitar Shah's bridges are another formula that had a good success rate, I embedded a wood structure in them for sound and stability back then.

Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars

That bridge was probably one his brother Amit made in Japan, they were quite good and Barun used them for awhile back when I was importing from him. He must have run out of them, the later ones looked like a resin that was loaded with talc or some other powder. They sounded good but were/are brittle and you'd get the black spots in them. I had this issue with some of my earlier formulas too, it happens when you use certain fillers. I tried antler dust once which reacted with the resin and created quite a show.....After many years a chemist took pity on me and helped me dial in a formula that is now permanent. Sitar Shah's bridges are another formula that had a good success rate, I embedded a wood structure in them for sound and stability back then.

ok thanks. I have one like this on my (older) Barun Ray. It is a bit more yellowish or beige. Which material is that?

IMG_2321.jpg

Lars

Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:

ok thanks. I have one like this on my (older) Barun Ray. It is a bit more yellowish or beige. Which material is that?

IMG_2321.jpg
Hard to say which type but the older ones seemed to be better. That one could be urethane if it's turning yellow, I saw a few variations in color when I was getting them from beige to pure white.

Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars
Hard to say which type but the older ones seemed to be better. That one could be urethane if it's turning yellow, I saw a few variations in color when I was getting them from beige to pure white.

ok thanks Lars. it was always like this. It didn't turn yellow. I like the material.
My sitar looks almost the same as the 2004 HR on your website. The bridge also. Only it has the Barun Ray brown name tag instead of the white Hiren Roy tag.
sitar_shah

Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:

Here is the Lars all-black bridge from a couple of years ago. The sympathetic is original

Attached Images
jpeg IMG_20200603_220905.jpg (362.93 KB, 10 views)
jpeg IMG_20200603_220847.jpg (376.93 KB, 9 views)

raja ajay

Reply with quote  #22 
I lOVE the black bridge! that's honestly what id like on my vk, an ebony bridge would go beautiful with it. you're right the all white is kinda unique but the black is the way to go. yes Barun is still using his resin, at least on the sitars i just purchases. i'm thinking of using one of Lars resin bridge or real ebony if i can find a good one. are you familiar with his resin?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.