INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
fossesitar

Reply with quote  #16 

Since this is a guitar tiltedt thread the link above should be entirely (IN) appropriate........ I dont remember where I was in '78 but since then I have seen them live twice. Bon Scott is the greatest rock and roll singer EVER but we lost him many years ago. He was in the next world before I ever saw the band, quite a drinker - passed out and drowned in his own vomit is what I heard, similar to the way we lost the great Jimi Hendrix and perhaps the way we lost Keith Moon (drummer for the WHO) as well.

I was always a big WHO fan, saw them at the Auditorium Theatre in downtown Chicago where - right in the middle of a power-chord - Pete Townsend THREW his guitar STRAIGHT UP IN THE AIR - almost HIT the proscenium about 80 feet above him - and CAUGHT IT perfectly, right in time to the music. One night not too long after that I had a very vivid dream: I attended a private concert of "THE WHO" at an intimate club, Sat right nest to the stage, and only a 100 people or so were there. The very next morning I awoke to the news that Keith Moon had passed away. True story.
fossesitar

Reply with quote  #17 
More Guitar to round out the thread:

One of the GREATEST bands ever, guitar player (the one in shades) is just KILLER, they are kinda friends of mine, saw them 4 or five times, but after the demise of "Country Dick" they seem to have drifted into obscurity.
theprosperone

Reply with quote  #18 
Here is one of my favorites! I was at this show actually, one of the best jam-out shows I've ever witnessed. Les Claypool from Primus, Brain from Primus, Bernie Worrell from Parliament and the one and only Buckethead on guitar. 8) I think Buckethead is one of the few true guitar icons to really hit the scene since 2000s rolled around. Mind bending...but also his albums Colma, Electric Tears and Population Override are three of the best and most melodic instrument albums ever.

nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #19 
I have some fondness for Les Claypool but Bernie Worrell and Buckethead? Seems to cry out for Bootsy!

Re the Who, they peaked for me on Live at Leeds. Fantastic album.
barend

Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "theprosperone"
Here is one of my favorites! I was at this show actually, one of the best jam-out shows I've ever witnessed. Les Claypool from Primus, Brain from Primus, Bernie Worrell from Parliament and the one and only Buckethead on guitar. 8) I think Buckethead is one of the few true guitar icons to really hit the scene since 2000s rolled around. Mind bending...but also his albums Colma, Electric Tears and Population Override are three of the best and most melodic instrument albums ever.

Claypool ans Primus are great, always an inspiration for me. Saw them two times last month, great shows. Although Buckethead has great technique it doesn't appeal to me and I don't care for his playing that much. And I don't understand his image with the mask and bucket. It distracts me from the music.
yussef ali k

Reply with quote  #21 
Hi. Thank you for replying: Maybe every1 interested on this already answered, so I'll do it myself regarding the 2 above-outlined points & like I intended when bringing up the thread. Had 26 yrs of gtr when I started sitar-ing.

1) After getting a sitar I could tune it;I thought it was neat to use 2 LH fingers w/ the string functioning as a rail, but although I could relocate/tune a fret I thought it was odd losing pitches to get other pitches (and especially going back & forth: guitar habit).

I also feared the by-products of this on the fret-tying, since I didn't know how to tie 'em (I know now, yet never managed to tie one convincingly).
Mizrab: From the start I thought it was a neat idea (a 'pick' I didn't have to hold) but I liked it very tight w/ its tip as close to the nail tip as possible (no pain, no gain). Noticed Ustad & all students had a gap there, which also demanded more space between strings on the plucking area. Asked, argued & got away w/ it.

2) LH: I could do meend to SOME extent, but it was hard on the 1st (fret spacing demanded big space between the 2 fingers) & last few frets. I thought JMcLaughlin was the only guitar player bending this way - diff. from the blues style: I got the reason for gtr-scalloped fingerboards.
First 4 yrs went w/ that but when I saw a BPathak pic I went 'eureka!': Ustad said if I wanted 22 frets, why not go w/24 like the bin?: I did so: end of fiddling-tweedling-diddling.
Meanwhile playing guitar was getting increasingly HARD: less time, but especially the LH fingers #3/4 were getting WEAKER while #1/2 were getting stronger.

Hope this is of use. Thanks again.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.