INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
GoblinGrog

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi everyone I’m new here and I was wondering if it would be worth buying a student sitar
https://bozeman.craigslist.org/msg/d/bhargava-co-indian-sitar/6857481235.html The price on this is $450 and it comes with a hard case I didn’t know if it was worth it or not all information is helpful thank you!
ThunderBass95

Reply with quote  #2 
Welcome to the forum. Have you lined up an instructor? If so, then let them find you a starter instrument or at least advise you on who to buy from. If you are located in USA then you can contact Rain City Music, Musicians Mall and Keshav Imports. They all have websites and will restring and setup the instrument so all you have to do is tune it up and play it. I would be leery of the instrument you mentioned in the craigslist ad as it needs work that only a qualified sitar person can do, not your local guitar luthier. You will find this true of new instruments coming directly from India via eBay as well. There are some sitars on this forum for sale which might be just what you are looking for. Good luck.[wink][smile]
sason

Reply with quote  #3 
It does not look a good sitar. I think it is just a waste of money. You can get a good sitar (I don't know in which prices) from some reliable shops/sellers outside of India. The question is where is your location.
GoblinGrog

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sason
It does not look a good sitar. I think it is just a waste of money. You can get a good sitar (I don't know in which prices) from some reliable shops/sellers outside of India. The question is where is your location.

My price range is anywhere under $500 I have a couple of sitars I'm looking at I do have a couple questions about different sitars. http://www.handcraftedworldinstruments.com/Banjira_Deluxe_Sitar_Dark_Decorations_p/strsn-d.html this is one I am quite interested in https://www.musicalinstrumentshoppe.com/product/602372/g-rosul-pro-electric-sitar-w-flat-wooden-toomba/?origin=google_product_ads&gclid=CjwKCAjw2cTmBRAVEiwA8YMgzQ565oiIydhRPrdJ86pOwPYTeySvdHWo4mPSbx2aWz0sbXOHsP1cLBoCB7AQAvD_BwE  as well as this one.
I would really want an electric sitar more than anything though if you have reccomendations I am eager to hear any responses that anyone has

https://reverb.com/item/17265596-bhargava-co-100-m-sitar-dark-light-brown?gclid=CjwKCAjw2cTmBRAVEiwA8YMgzY5Pob8q1xq3pnHj3pTrokracwtBPxEagmgJzN6LXXCuTEU4hdzh_xoCQpIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1 here is another sitar i am unsure about but very intruiged
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #5 
$450 is WAYYYY too much for a student sitar !!!
Where are you as I have some very good sitars for that price? I'm in the UK though.
Just had a look at it & it's not too bad actually. A lower to middle quality instrument.

Nick aka trippymonkey
sason

Reply with quote  #6 
Surprisingly, (at least for me), the Banjira sitar does not look so bad. You know, beside the sound quality, there are other (and even more important) factors: for example, if the instrument can be tuned and setup properly. Sometimes, these can be fixed, and in other times, there is not way fix it. You did not say where you located. I assume, you are in the U.S. There are some sellers here that probably have a good sitar for you (I don't know about prices).
You can also order a sitar directly from India. I don't remember at moment the names of the makers, but there are some makers (from Miraj) that can make for you whatever you want and will ship it to you. Search this site and you will find the names, the recommendation and also the warnings.
GoblinGrog

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sason
Surprisingly, (at least for me), the Banjira sitar does not look so bad. You know, beside the sound quality, there are other (and even more important) factors: for example, if the instrument can be tuned and setup properly. Sometimes, these can be fixed, and in other times, there is not way fix it. You did not say where you located. I assume, you are in the U.S. There are some sellers here that probably have a good sitar for you (I don't know about prices).
You can also order a sitar directly from India. I don't remember at moment the names of the makers, but there are some makers (from Miraj) that can make for you whatever you want and will ship it to you. Search this site and you will find the names, the recommendation and also the warnings.

I am in eastern idaho are there any recommendations for a sitar l am willing to hear it out
Tomek Regulski

Reply with quote  #8 
Hello!

If you are in the US, then please check out the two websites below. These shops vet their instruments with a high standard, and have a long track record of doing so. The instruments are set up properly and shipped safely. 

I believe they both carry some instruments that are around the price range that you seem to be looking in, and even if you have to save a little more to go for it, a sitar from one of these sources will sound good, be built well, and last a long time if treated well. 

I am sure there are other good sources, but these are the two with which I have personal experience and can confidently recommend. 

http://raincitymusic.com
https://www.musiciansmallusa.com
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #9 

I would advise against buying one of those random Banjira or Bargava sitars. 
My first sitar was a Bargarva and it was worthless. 
Some might be OK, but most are lacking.

As for electric sitars, those cheap "electric" travel sitars are almost all terrible. 
They don't usually have an acoustic tone to speak of and the electronics are trash. 
Get a real sitar and have a K&K pickup installed, or get a solid body electric for playing with a band. 

Go to RainCityMusic.com or MusiciansMallUSA.com
You will get a good sitar that has been setup and ready to play. 
I would lean towards RainCityMusic.com, as Lars is awesome and can guide you to the correct instrument for your price and requirements. 

Cheap sitars tend to be fairly useless in general, so I would ask Lars what sitar he has that is reasonably priced but has a decent tone. 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.