INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Tristan von Neumann

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Friends,

another question:

Obviously there was no microphone in the old days, and singers would have to "raise their voice" to fill the room.
This is a worldwide phenomenon except in European classical music.

While it is convenient and can display more subtlety for a bigger audience, I wonder if some of the singers would even be able to fill for example a temple with their natural voice any more?
How does this reflect in musical training?

Which singers do you know that have powerful voices that could fill a room without a mic?
musicslug

Reply with quote  #2 
my understanding is that classical music in India mostly happened in small venues because the performers were court musicians; being able to sing loudly wouldn't have been necessary. the princely states' audiences were also very conversant in the music, often were students of the performers.

(when the Brits came and dismantled the princely states, that world was transformed - the musicians had to find new sources of income. I've read that the highly decorated instruments we see now resulted from this change: the musicians wanted flashier instruments to wow the - presumably less educated - audiences.) 

I don't know when large-scale concerts started happening in India - maybe by then there were microphones. I read somewhere that Kesarbai Kerkar disdained these large - and, to her mind, unsophisticated - audiences, made mistakes on purpose just to see nobody realizing what she'd done.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.