INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
chrisitar

Reply with quote  #1 
Anyone ever heard anyone play their instrument and sing at the same time? I've heard some sitarists and sarangi players sing THEN play what they just sang but nobody ever sings and plays at the same time. Any reason for this?

Reply with quote  #2 
Rais Khan and Vilayat Khan seem to do this a lot and while they don't (to my meager knowledge) play melody while singing, I think they do play a rhythmic strumming of the other strings (chikari, pancham, gandhar, jor) that fills out the sound.

As for why they don't, I can only say that personally I would be unable to devote my mind to keeping two distinct melodic voices properly in sur and together! Which is why in me old rocknroll days, I eschewed vocal tasks when playing lead guitar or bass, which were melodic...rhythm guitar it was easier (although vocal tasks eschewed nonetheless in the interest of public safety). But beyond that, consider how very rarely even in jughalbandhi do they have two melodic instruments playing together...usually each takes its turn as a sort of dialogue.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.