INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Tristan von Neumann

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi ICM friends,

does anyone know a good recording of Asavari with Shuddha Rishab? It seems everyone uses the modern Komal Rishab version now.

Thanks!
Jaiapal

Reply with quote  #2 
What about Jaunpuri?
Jaiapal

Reply with quote  #3 
Also note that the Komal-Rishab Asavari is actually the elder version, despite not lining up with Bhatkhande’s That structure. The ten Thats can cause more confusion than they are worth. The answer to Asavari’s ancestry can be found in its association with the Todi group. The original Todi “scale” was actually what is not the Bhairavi “scale”. Bilashkhani Todi is actually a more accurate relic of what Todi ang ragas were like in the time of Tansen. Asavari, as a raga branch, is (roughly speaking) a close relative of the Todi group and therefore branched out of the original Todi “scale” which is that of Bhairavi. Currently, Jaunpuri is the more modern “Shuddh Re Asavari” in vogue now. Raga nomenclature can be confusing. Also note that Deshi, (often referred to as Deshi-Todi) is associated with the Todi ang while displaying some clear Arohi movements associated with Asavari, such as R—>m-P—>g-R.
Tristan von Neumann

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Jaiapal,

thank you for clearing that up - so what would the 16th or 17th century Ragas in "C minor", that is komal ga, komal dha and komal ni, that would be commonly used?

(Apart from Darbari Kanada, which I already connected to the Passacaglia in Europe)

Also, if anyone recognizes any of those pieces as Ragas, I would be very happy
(sorry for the rough playing, I am not a master)

https://tristanvonneumann.bandcamp.com/

Many of the pieces have clear lines and the typical echo of an accompanying voice.
Perhaps someone can hear a Raga common in the late 16th century, maybe a Tansen favourite?

This one I tried to overlay with the Bhairavi, which is according to you not the original one from Tansen's time?
Is the pitch adjustment even correct?

https://tristanvonneumann.bandcamp.com/track/no-38-fantasia-mode-3

Is there a Raga that would fit better?

Thanks!
Tristan von Neumann

Reply with quote  #5 
I forgot to post the link to the mix:

Sudie

Reply with quote  #6 
Hey there,  what about janipuri it is really good you should try it
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.