INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
drutgat

Reply with quote  #1 
In re-stringing my sitar (first time re-stringing the whole thing) over a few days last week and this, I have noticed that some of the pegs for the sympathetic strings fit their peg-holes quite badly.

Specifically, it is very difficult to get the ends of some of the pegs to fit into the far side holes, and once in, some of the pegs do not turn smoothly.

Now, I do not have any basis for comparison with the sympathetic pegs on other sitars, but the pegs for the main strings on my sitar fit beautifully into the peg holes, and the pegs turn well.

I have some questions about this
1. Is this 'usual' for a relatively cheap (but playable) sitar (it is either a No. 2 or No. 3 Radha Krishna Sharma, at least 15 years old; bone jawari)?

2. Should I try to re-shape the pegs to make them fit better?
I have not tried to do anything myself (such as re-shaping them) because I know that the makers make each peg to fit into the specific hole it goes into, and I did not want to worsen the problem.

3. If working on the pegs myself is not realistic (because I do not want to worsen the problem), should I buy new ones to replace the pegs that are giving me problems?
Given that I have heard that the pegs are custom made for each hole, I am not sure how to get generic pegs to fit the peg holes in my sitar.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

RagaMeister19

Reply with quote  #2 
If you get new pegs, you will have to file each one down to fit the hole with a 4-in-1 wood rasp by hand, then smooth the ends with sandpaper. I recently my 11 pegs and it was a major, time consuming job. My hands were sore for a few days after I finally finished. You have to be careful and file a little at a time and literally custom fit it to the hole. When finished, mark the peg with a pen to denote which hole it fits. Number them from 1 to 11, 12 or 13 depending on how many you have. The same thing applies to the main tuning pegs. Don't forget to chalk them when replacing the strings to add friction. If you do this, take your time. Don't try to do all of them in one day, try 3 or 4 and give your hands a rest. Good luck. [thumb]
Lars

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drutgat
In re-stringing my sitar (first time re-stringing the whole thing) over a few days last week and this, I have noticed that some of the pegs for the sympathetic strings fit their peg-holes quite badly.

Specifically, it is very difficult to get the ends of some of the pegs to fit into the far side holes, and once in, some of the pegs do not turn smoothly.

They need to turn 'freely', not necessarily smoothly. For me I like them to click a little bit as they turn as they grip better. It's probably the bottom hole causing the problems, if it cant turn there then the peg will be easier to break.

Now, I do not have any basis for comparison with the sympathetic pegs on other sitars, but the pegs for the main strings on my sitar fit beautifully into the peg holes, and the pegs turn well.

I have some questions about this
1. Is this 'usual' for a relatively cheap (but playable) sitar (it is either a No. 2 or No. 3 Radha Krishna Sharma, at least 15 years old; bone jawari)?

It's usual for these and due to age also. Happens with all sitars with friction pegs.

2. Should I try to re-shape the pegs to make them fit better?
I have not tried to do anything myself (such as re-shaping them) because I know that the makers make each peg to fit into the specific hole it goes into, and I did not want to worsen the problem.

Yes it's something you'll have to do or have someone do a peg trim/setup for you. I offer Skype sessions if that is of interest where we would go through it step by step.

3. If working on the pegs myself is not realistic (because I do not want to worsen the problem), should I buy new ones to replace the pegs that are giving me problems?
Given that I have heard that the pegs are custom made for each hole, I am not sure how to get generic pegs to fit the peg holes in my sitar.

Much easier to just re-seat your pegs as long as there's sufficient length to them.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagaMeister19
If you get new pegs, you will have to file each one down to fit the hole with a 4-in-1 wood rasp by hand, then smooth the ends with sandpaper. I recently my 11 pegs and it was a major, time consuming job. My hands were sore for a few days after I finally finished. You have to be careful and file a little at a time and literally custom fit it to the hole. When finished, mark the peg with a pen to denote which hole it fits. Number them from 1 to 11, 12 or 13 depending on how many you have. The same thing applies to the main tuning pegs. Don't forget to chalk them when replacing the strings to add friction. If you do this, take your time. Don't try to do all of them in one day, try 3 or 4 and give your hands a rest. Good luck. [thumb]

Thanks very much, RagaMeister.

This is very helpful.
drutgat

Reply with quote  #5 
Lars, thanks very much for your reply.

I watched a brief video the other day on YouTube in which you are demonstrating a particular sitar – at least I think it was you – and I very much likes to playing.

Do you do Skype lessons for playing sitar (Maihar)?
Lars

Reply with quote  #6 
I'll send you a PM....

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars
I'll send you a PM....

Thanks.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.