INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
barend

Reply with quote  #1 
I can buy this sitar for 185 dollars, or maybe even cheaper.

But the seller has no clue who the sitarmaker is, he bought it some time ago in an antique shop. Also the back of the tumba is damaged.

Since i already have two good sitars I don't want to buy a tourist crap sitar. I only want to buy it if it is good and if I can fix the sitar (I know of course that for this price it will be no Hiren Roy)

So I want to ask if you can judge this sitar, it is hard for me to judge it just from these pictures.

Here is the link, it is the first 3 pictures (not the sitar standing, that is my Rikhi Ram):

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/barendtromp/?sc=1&multi=3&addtype=local&media=image
Surbaharplayer

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Barend,

I'd say there would be several reasons why to buy the instrument:
1 Does it play/sound ok?
2 Do you need the instrument (for instance as a "travel" instrument or to leave it at a teachers' place?
3Do you have a "connection" with the instrument?

I've played fine instruments that didn't really do it for me, so I never bothered. My "new" surbahar looks a bit bruised and beaten up, but plays like butter. Also brands/builders don't mean sh&t; look at our previous teacher Darshan Kumari. She plays/played a new Rikhi Ram that always caused her headaches, so she played a cheap Kartar Hari Chand sitar (I got one too and she plays fine).

Remco
barend

Reply with quote  #3 
I have not played on this instrument yet. I have to drive to this seller and that takes 1, 5 hours, so if it is not worth going it will save me a ride...

The decorations don't look like the decorations of some cheap tourist sitar......

It obviously needs some work and restringing, but it might be nice to have an extra sitar...
shagird

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "barend"
I have not played on this instrument yet. I have to drive to this seller and that takes 1, 5 hours, so if it is not worth going it will save me a ride...

The decorations don't look like the decorations of some cheap tourist sitar......

It obviously needs some work and restringing, but it might be nice to have an extra sitar...
Indeed, the carving and the nut seem well done. The bridge posts don't seem to be flush with the tabli; apart from this and the french polish peel-off it does look worthwhile. As a travel-mate, I'd second what surbaharplayer says.
element-82

Reply with quote  #5 
Looks like it is aged. Might sound good, but will require some work to be playable. The jawari looks like it is long past its prime. The frets look like they have 2 passes of stirng, which means they may move like crazy. Other than that, it looks like standard issue bina, which may not be bad if the the tabli is made of decent wood, the pegs fit nicely etc. For $185 it might be good, at least to have a beater sitar to practise maintenance on.

Pb
Quote:
Originally Posted by "barend"
I can buy this sitar for 185 dollars, or maybe even cheaper.

But the seller has no clue who the sitarmaker is, he bought it some time ago in an antique shop. Also the back of the tumba is damaged.

Since i already have two good sitars I don't want to buy a tourist crap sitar. I only want to buy it if it is good and if I can fix the sitar (I know of course that for this price it will be no Hiren Roy)

So I want to ask if you can judge this sitar, it is hard for me to judge it just from these pictures.

Here is the link, it is the first 3 pictures (not the sitar standing, that is my Rikhi Ram):

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/barendtromp/?sc=1&multi=3&addtype=local&media=image

SitarMac

Reply with quote  #6 
Forget it.....Its a tourist Sitar. But OK as far as those go....Don't waste your time.

Reply with quote  #7 
SitarMac how do you know this?? if that is true I won't waste my time
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi, Barend. For $185.00 this is a pretty good deal, I think. The gourd finish is typical Calcutta paint on plaster - unfortunate. Can't see how much damage to the gourd there is but if all the pieces are there or if it's just a crack, it is fixable. The nut has the swan head on one end and that Picasso/Miro take on Saraswati on the other. A little bit of extra carving, that's nice. There is sapwood on the first string peg handle as well as the typical rough finish work (or none) on the peg shafts. Lower grade stock, no doubt but yet up to Indian standard. Carving is surprisingly good from what I can see from the pics. Bridge looks ok. Very interesting jawari shape. I don't think it left the source shop looking like that. Bridge has a few miles on it yet. It's been shifted from it's original position. If intentional, it would be to compensate for the ultra thick first string that's on it now. Overall, it should clean up nicely. If it were in N. Carolina, I'd walk over to get it, but I'm a real sentimental fool when it comes to abandonded sitars. Can't see if the neck is warped or not. Also can't see how close the taraf strings are to the underside of the highest fret. These are major factors in its playability . All in all, I'd say to go ahead and go over for a look. Hit the host for a coffee. Oh, yeah. The bead on the Rikhi Ram sitar - looks like the one for the 2nd. string up on the headstock will only work as long as the string leaving the peg shaft stays put. Bit shakey setup! It will also leave a nasty track along the middle between the pegs.

Reply with quote  #9 
Hi, Barend. For $185.00 this is a pretty good deal, I think. The gourd finish is typical Calcutta paint on plaster - unfortunate. Can't see how much damage to the gourd there is but if all the pieces are there or if it's just a crack, it is fixable. The nut has the swan head on one end and that Picasso/Miro take on Saraswati on the other. A little bit of extra carving, that's nice. There is sapwood on the first string peg handle as well as the typical rough finish work (or none) on the peg shafts. Lower grade stock, no doubt but yet up to Indian standard. Carving is surprisingly good from what I can see from the pics. Bridge looks ok. Very interesting jawari shape. I don't think it left the source shop looking like that. Bridge has a few miles on it yet. It's been shifted from it's original position. If intentional, it would be to compensate for the ultra thick first string that's on it now. Overall, it should clean up nicely. If it were in N. Carolina, I'd walk over to get it, but I'm a real sentimental fool when it comes to abandonded sitars. Can't see if the neck is warped or not. Also can't see how close the taraf strings are to the underside of the highest fret. These are major factors in its playability . All in all, I'd say to go ahead and go over for a look. Hit the host for a coffee. Oh, yeah. The bead on the Rikhi Ram sitar - looks like the one for the 2nd. string up on the headstock will only work as long as the string leaving the peg shaft stays put. Bit shakey setup! It will also leave a nasty track along the middle between the pegs.

Reply with quote  #10 
Tony wrote:

Oh, yeah. The bead on the Rikhi Ram sitar - looks like the one for the 2nd. string up on the headstock will only work as long as the string leaving the peg shaft stays put. Bit shakey setup! It will also leave a nasty track along the middle between the pegs.

I do this on purpose for several reasons.
-it is easier with the tuning, because you can still play the open second string while tuning with your left hand. So in a performance the tuning won't get annoying.
-it gives more room to the tuning swan for your main string.

You have to set up your string pretty low to the headstock.
It works great for me......

What do you mean with "if the string stays put"???

I think many sitar players place this bead for the 2nd string on the headstock.....my former sitar teacher also placed it like this.

After a while it will leave some track in the wood, that is true....but that is the risk I take.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.