INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #1 
I am sure most, if not all of you, have seen this video, but I find it so fascinating.
It is Scott Hackleman discussing his creation of a Rudra Veena for Pir Vilayat Inayat Khan. Pir Vilayat Inayat Khan wanted a veena built like the veena that Shiva would have used. It is a very primitive instrument, but very interesting.
The last time Scott did my Jawari he told me the whole story of the creation of this veena. It is a great piece of instrument development history.

http://www.rudraveena.org/vilayat.html
CarnaticConnection

Reply with quote  #2 
I think the bridge is awesome, and I love how the gut strings sound so mellow on the jawari bridge. Plus, I think it's funny that a guy who doesn't know how to play the veena can build and modify them so very well!
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #3 
Scott Hackleman is an incredible instrument maker/fixer.
He does amazing Jawari.

Here is an article he wrote about his time working at Kartar Chand's shop in India
http://www.sitar-tabla.com/sitar%20making.pdf+

Great guy.
Always has interesting stories.
You have to love someone who can tell stories of sitting in the Kanai Lal shop having tea with Murari Adhikari and Nodu Mullick.
povster

Reply with quote  #4 
It certainly is a very intriquiing instrument. It has a tonal quality that also has appeal. Anyone have any idea if this video was made vefore Pir Vilayat Inayat Khan's passing, or if Scott managed to regain the instrument after?
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #5 
I seem to remember that he presented it to Pir Vilayat Inayat Khan. (Who love the veena)
So it must be with Pir Vilayat Inayat Khan's other possessions where ever they are.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.