INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
TukKranDha

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi:

I am moving overseas and the only option for shipping our stuff is by sea (shipping is paid for by employer). I normally would prefer to ship my tablas by sea but this is not possible (except for the tablas I take on the plane with me). They are going to a tropical country from North America.

Is there a big risk of extra moisture while they sit in the shipping container? What is the best way to prevent that--any good easy way to reduce moisture in the boxes they are sitting in? I'm shipping 2 bayas and 7 dayas..

Thanks for any help!
Dhani_

Reply with quote  #2 
Hmm... I don't know how easy, but packing the boxes with silica gel is very effective. If that doesn't work out, a little moisture will most likely not damage the baya pudis. In the case of the dayas, though, taking the tuning blocks out would be a good idea.
hbajpai

Reply with quote  #3 
Depends on how much you want to spend, your skill level and how much total effort you want to put in.

Remove the gatta's for all options.

1. Put them in a box and shrink wrap the box - multiple layers.
2. Use space saver bags or air tight bags and suck the air out using a vacuum. The ones "as seen on tv"
3. Buy an air tight container/case. Pelican is the Mack Truck of cases and containers.
4. Undo the pudi's, carry the pudi's with you and re-do the pudi's at your destination.
5. If you are moving back to India, take your chances and worst case, get new pudi's done there.
TukKranDha

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for the suggestions.

Just curious--what is the main reason for removing the gattas? I understand by air there could be a pressure change, but by sea? Can't I just loosen them?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.