INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
CheesecakeTomek

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello friends,

I may have to ship a harmonium from New York to California. It is a standard box, not a pop-up, and has only a gig bag for protection. Do I have any good options that will ensure a safe transportation? I know some of you have various experience with shipping instruments so I hope you can all chime in when you get a minute.

Thanks!
-Tomek
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #2 
Hey, Cake ! ! ! I would suggest getting cardboard boxes from U-Haul, Home Despot or similar outlets that have boxes for sale. They are around $2.00 each. Get one that will allow at least 3" of space between the harmonium body and the inside of the box. Glue that box together (Elmers or Titebond ) as well as the clear packing tape treatment. Get bubble wrap - the 1" large bubble type. Wrap the harmonium top bottom and sides and tape the wrapping down well. A really cool extra step would be to cut 1/8" plywood panels and glue those into the insides of the box. It's extra weight but well worth the extra armor plating. I also lay down clear packing tape over the address labels in the event rain or whatever might smudge the lettering. Insurance and tracking numbers - oh yeah - get em. US Post Office is my first choice - cheaper and better service. Cheers !

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "CheesecakeTomek"
Hello friends,

I may have to ship a harmonium from New York to California. It is a standard box, not a pop-up, and has only a gig bag for protection. Do I have any good options that will ensure a safe transportation? I know some of you have various experience with shipping instruments so I hope you can all chime in when you get a minute.

Thanks!
-Tomek
Really helpful - if you have an octave coupler on your harmonium - is to take two or three sheets of newspaper and roll them up and then flatten the "tube" of newspaper and put it across the keys and use a few strips of that blue painter's tape to hold it in place. You can't know when the courier (whoever you pick) will turn the box upside down, and having the newspaper there keeps the keyboard stable and you don't have to worry about re-setting all the coupler tines which can be a pain in the neck if you have never done it. Personally I like to use thick styrofoam around all sides of the harmonium inside the box.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.