INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
assingh

Reply with quote  #1 
Shantanu Panshikar one of the finest tabla players from India. He is the senior most disciple of maestro Taalyogi Pt. Sureshji Talwalkar. He continues to learn this art from maestro Pt. Vibhavji Nageshkar. This is a very informal recording of Shantanu at his residence in Ambernath.

Banaras Laggi

Can someone share the notation of this laggi?
evening84

Reply with quote  #2 
DISCLAIMER : I do not know this laggi, not having received it from anyone, a reputable Guru or a house of disrepute. It is merely my transcription based on what he is saying and playing.

GheNaDhaaGe TagaDhiNa
KrDhaDhirDhir DhirTagTiNa
KeNaTaaKe TakaTiNa
KrDhaDhirDhir DhirTagDhiNa

Corrections are welcome - The part I am not really sure of is the Kr. It does not appear to be a straight Dha. KrDha, KitDha or a chapki are all possible candidates. Could be one thing in slow laya and slightly modified as he takes off.

pbercker

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "assingh"
Shantanu Panshikar one of the finest tabla players from India. He is the senior most disciple of maestro Taalyogi Pt. Sureshji Talwalkar. He continues to learn this art from maestro Pt. Vibhavji Nageshkar. This is a very informal recording of Shantanu at his residence in Ambernath.

Banaras Laggi

Can someone share the notation of this laggi?

A delightful tabla player ... deserves to be better known. I can't help but note that we're always admonished to use powder very sparingly ... and then we see in part 4 how he pours and pours and then pours some more powder all over his bayan!

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
hbajpai

Reply with quote  #4 
Purely the laggi and not his improv.

Ghena dhas ghitag dhinna
Kitdha dhirdhir kittak tinna plus khali.
npandit

Reply with quote  #5 
Pascal, why is it better to use powder sparingly?
pbercker

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "npandit"
Pascal, why is it better to use powder sparingly?
The general idea seems to be this:

1) To avoid a buildup of powder which can sometimes "cake" on the shayi, which affects the resonance.
2) To avoid getting it between the maidan and the kinar - thereby dampening the sound I suspect.

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.