INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #1 
I recieved this e-mail yesterday from the Germantown Performing Arts Center......

It is with deep regret that we inform you of the cancellation of Ravi Shankar's concert on Thursday, October 5, 2006.

This morning, we received a telephone call from ICM Artists, Ravi & Anoushka Shankar's management, indicating that Mr. Shankar had torn the rotator cuff of his left shoulder and is unable to perform. His entire North American fall tour has been cancelled.

Fortunately, we have been able to reschedule the concert for October 27, 2007. We are guaranteeing the seats you have purchased for the rescheduled concert date; no action is required on your part. However, if you wish to exchange your ticket for another 2006-07 GPAC concert, or prefer to receive a refund, please contact GPAC Box Office Manager Suzette Crim at (901) 751-7510.

We deeply regret any inconvenience that this situation has caused and stand ready to assist you with any questions you may have.
sitarman

Reply with quote  #2 
I wish Raviji a speedy recovery, although being a realist I must add that at his age a complete recovery to the point where he is scheduling concerts sounds a little too optimistic. Then again, he's an amazing guy.
Sharsitar

Reply with quote  #3 
Bhakta Ron,
I received the same message from GPAC & am very disappointed. I was so looking forward to the concert, as it was only 2.5 hrs. away from me in Arkansas.
However, I understand Ravi had surgery on Wednesday, so I wish him peace & the strength to recover.
I didn't reschedule, because that is a year away! If he & Anoushka indeed will be playing on that date when the time comes, I'll reschedule at that time.
S.
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #4 
Sharsitar,

I just left my tickets as is because there's nothing else this season at GPAC I care to see. I hope everything works out for next year.

2.5 hours from Memphis huh. Would that be Little Rock? I'm in Southaven, MS. I can just about throw a rock to Memphis from here.
Sharsitar

Reply with quote  #5 
Yes, that would be Little Rock. In the process of trying to find an Indian music teacher or Sitar teacher.
S.
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #6 
Sharsitar,

I think I read a while back that you purchased a sitar from Tony K. is that right? From his website it looks as though he does very nice work.

Finding a teacher of indian music of any type might be very hard in Little Rock as it is here in the Memphis area. I've been looking for someone to help me with harmonium lessons for sometime now and haven't found a soul.

I've wanted to take up sitar but have never bought one because of the problems finding teachers in the area. I would imagine it would be very hard to learn sitar on your own.

Best of luck,

Bhakta Ron

All Glories to Sri Guru and Sri Guranga!
sitarman

Reply with quote  #7 
Bhakta Ron,
Don't give up learning sitar because of no teachers around!! I have had similar experiences. When I started the closest teacher was literally 400 miles away. I got every video and book I could get my hands on- instructional etc. That was 15 years ago. The media available now is much greater. You CAN get started with it. You never know when a teacher will find you. After thinking I'd rarely get a chance to study an Indian woman one day walked into where I worked who had heard about the only sitarist in Tucson, more or less, and said she taught Indian music, played some sitar- would I be interested?! The last thing I expected! I studied a few ragas with her for 6 months. Then she moved to England. Again I thought "Oh well, time to save the bucks, drive out to Pasadena again...." next thing I know a great sarod player who spent years with Raviji moves to Arizona. I studied with him. He passed away.Then another sitar player several years ago was touring and had a relative in Tucson and I heard about her and took two good lessons. The point is, once you get started, if you're serious, have a good ear, learn what you can on your own, word gets out and things happen that you don't expect because you are now in the "mode" so to speak. Last year I spent big bucks flying to L.A. to study further with a great master and he commented that I had done well with my limited access to regular teachers. So go with your feelings. There are good resources, even here on the forum, to get you going in the right direction.
Sharsitar

Reply with quote  #8 
Bhakta Ron,
I have just gotten Ashwin Batish instructional videos, Ravi Shankar, "My Music, My Life" , Hirahar Rao's book, etc...
My sitar should be here next month, & I plan on posting something at the local university for an Indian Music teacher.
You never know! I will learn as much as I can until I find someone.
Yes, I'm getting my sitar from Tony K. He has been great to work with. He has communicated very well throughout the long process, sent pics. & all that. I'm so excited, because I believe he is making a very high quality instrument. His reputation seems to be great. His background certainly is.
Trying to tell myself to "enjoy the journey, not the destination". It will be a long learning process!
rex@sitar.co.za

Reply with quote  #9 
There are also many, many teachers teaching online and over the phone. I've been learning from my teacher in Toronto like that the last 6 months, using Skype, and I really don't think I've missed anything by not being physically present with him. It helps when you're just starting to have "real" lessons, but once the basics are in place, the phone works just fine. In fact, there is an excellent tabla teacher here in Cape Town who did ALL his learning over the phone with his teacher in India - and they haven't yet met in person.

If you hear of a teacher you think you'd like to learn from, perhaps take a sitar-holiday, make a commitment to a week or two of intensive lessons, and then continue by phone/internet.

- Rex
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.