INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
sitarman

Reply with quote  #1 
So, can anybody tell me something about Yousuf Mirajkar, the builder of Shahid Parvez' current sitar? I've never seen them offered through dealers, etc. Come on somebody, let's hear about it- it certainly sounds good to my ears. Then again, chances are Ustadji could sound good on my lousy student sitar of twelve years ago. (Actually, I can honestly say I would sound better than him is this rare case- it was left handed!! )
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #2 
The man is the mainstay of sitars here in Poontown. He is the only music shop here that actually has a real sitar on the shelf. All other shops are pushing Casio keyboards, "Givson", Hobner", Yemaha", Ludweg", etc. guitars and the occasional ice cream tub single head drum set with pot metal lugs. ("brrrrrrrrr"). He will be seen prominently at all the concert venues, much like Harihar Rao in Pasadena and LA. Every time I go to Miraj, he almost always makes an appearance, walking by the workshop. At first, I must have been presumed as just another gringo and no big deal. When he next saw me sitting on the deck covered in sawdust, wood shavings and more with a tabli in my lap, he must have gotten worried. Now we exchange pleasant greetings. Seems I'm not a threat any more. I've been to his shop a few times on Laxmi Rd. area ("brrrrrrrr") to pick up some emergency pieces but not seen an actual workshop where he has a staff building instruments. I suspect he farms out his instruments in Miraj as that is the most practical and cost effective way to go. I would be completely nuts to set up a manufacturing facility in Poontown when just 6 hrs. away in Miraj is everything in place to make great instruments. I've had my paws on a few of the sitars with his badge on. Good solid stuff. His expertise is clearly evident in picking out or designing sitars for the market. Personally, I'm not too crazy about the little tab things stuck on the neck along side each taraf eyelet. It's a cosmetic thing only and something I've only seen on his sitars and the one he has set up for Ustad Shahid Parvez. His stuff in a word - solid. Nuttin wrong with that!

Reply with quote  #3 
Hey sitrarfixer,
I think that is spot on for mirajkar's sitars. nicely said. I love mine. It has exactly the right "feel' and sound. Granted, i had to replace the jawari a few months after I got it. The bone was spongy and I wanted the Ustadji jawari sound anyway. They are not the most beautiful sitars, but I have only seen his black sitars, that prize has to go to tonyk.

Pb
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Sitarfixer"
The man is the mainstay of sitars here in Poontown. He is the only music shop here that actually has a real sitar on the shelf. All other shops are pushing Casio keyboards, "Givson", Hobner", Yemaha", Ludweg", etc. guitars and the occasional ice cream tub single head drum set with pot metal lugs. ("brrrrrrrrr"). He will be seen prominently at all the concert venues, much like Harihar Rao in Pasadena and LA. Every time I go to Miraj, he almost always makes an appearance, walking by the workshop. At first, I must have been presumed as just another gringo and no big deal. When he next saw me sitting on the deck covered in sawdust, wood shavings and more with a tabli in my lap, he must have gotten worried. Now we exchange pleasant greetings. Seems I'm not a threat any more. I've been to his shop a few times on Laxmi Rd. area ("brrrrrrrr") to pick up some emergency pieces but not seen an actual workshop where he has a staff building instruments. I suspect he farms out his instruments in Miraj as that is the most practical and cost effective way to go. I would be completely nuts to set up a manufacturing facility in Poontown when just 6 hrs. away in Miraj is everything in place to make great instruments. I've had my paws on a few of the sitars with his badge on. Good solid stuff. His expertise is clearly evident in picking out or designing sitars for the market. Personally, I'm not too crazy about the little tab things stuck on the neck along side each taraf eyelet. It's a cosmetic thing only and something I've only seen on his sitars and the one he has set up for Ustad Shahid Parvez. His stuff in a word - solid. Nuttin wrong with that!

barend

Reply with quote  #4 
I was in Yousuf Mirajkar's shop and workplace upstairs in Pune and played on some of his sitars...also I played on many sitars from him from other sitar students and unfortunately I have to say I didn't like any of them....I was there with my sitar teacher and another professional sitar player and they also didn't like the instruments.....

Also the finishing of his sitars is not so nice I think.....I think he is (or can be) a really good sitar maker if he puts a lot of time in his instruments, like he obviously did with the SP sitar.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.