INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
anandvyasorg

Reply with quote  #16 
Nick ~ you can use it ~ let me know ~ i will give you passwords to use it as a server to upload your pics and stuff if you want. I have UNLIMITED space. Let me know
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #17 
Shifting that 3rd. string to MA for the minorish ragas ( Bhimpalasi for example ) along with PA for the 4th. string ( VK type sitar, that is )just sounds SOOOOO RIGHT ! You might get away with komal GA on the 3rd. string for something like Madhuvanti or maybe Jog in a stretch. There are just sooo many ways to tune these glorious beasts. Whatever sounds good and doesn't break anything has GOT to be a good thing. Seems like the industry standard for taraf tuning is to go longest on up the neck with SA, NI, SA, RE, GA etc. I just got tired of changing out that broken longest string. Good tip - if you've got the center drilled taraf string eyelets and not cracked, when changing out that string, twist a 1/4" drill bit lightly into that eyelet hole. The idea is to round out the corner that the new string will have to bend over to go into that hole. This reduces the cutting factor on the eyelet and also the kink factor on the wire. Play on, everyone !

Reply with quote  #18 
Yes brother ~tuning Pa to the Ma (Chikari) sounds Awesome on Ragas like Bhairavi or Bhimpalasi (and others) as you mention. The awesome Pandit Nikhil Bannerjee's Raga Bhairavi is tuned that way and is obviously amazing. Would you mind explaining the "eyelet" Drill thing It sounds interesting but I am very poor when it comes to working with drills. What does one do and why? To keep the string from breaking , that i got (kinda) Does it help the sound. Hurt it? How hard do i press. what is "cracked"? Sorry man ~ too many questions. Its cool if can't to them.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #19 
Anand Bhai
Thanks very much for the offer. I'll check out the site.

Nick
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #20 
Hi, Anand.

The eyelets, the type with a hole drilled in the middle for the string to go through, are always left with a sharp 90 degree corner that the string bends over to go down into the neck. That kink in the wire , especially when tuned higher and lower through normal operations will shorten the life of the wire. Sharp bend = broken string. I reduce the sharpness of the wire bend by taking a 1/4" drill bit ( just the drill bit, not the motor part ) and set the drill bit tip onto the eyelet hole. I then give the bit a few twists by hand - just a few. A bit of the bone material will be seen coming off the eyelet. The result is a tapered hole entrance that the wire will now be resting on when installed and tuned. The reduced bend in that wire means longer life. Another feature of NOT doing this is that the wire can cut into the bone material and lodge itself into the cut line. With the wire wedged in this new slot, when tuned higher in pitch, the only thing happening is that the wire is being tightened between the wedge point and the peg shaft. The wire WILL break ! As far as tone quality changing from this operation, not in the slightest. Hope that helps.

Reply with quote  #21 
Tony-Ji ~ It makes perfect sense now. And it wont change the sound? And the tarafs will last longer (if done correctly)? Cool 8) I wanted to know about having you make an 8 string with second bridge (if you believe it adds sustain ~ I want more SUSTAIN ) ~ like the Hiren Roys Pandit Nikhil Bannerjee had. I believe SitarMac came up with one from the Ali Akbar Khan School which is fantastic, i think he dubbed it the "Geetangali" ~ but I want more of the darker Hiren Roy sound and not the slightly brighter Rikhi Ram sound. If you have time ~ would you let me know through a P.M. the price range it would be ~ and if you have time to make one in the first place. I really want simple decorations ~ I am concerned only about Sound.
barend

Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Sitarfixer"

D C# B A G# F# E D D B C#

Note that the F# and the C# relative to SA won't be quite the same as a tuners calibration if you're going for a proper tuning. You'll notice it in the loss of zinging overtones. It will get you into left field at least. The taraf tuning is my "system" which shifts the strings all down one step to relieve tension on the neck, eyelets and strings. The longest string resolving on NI rather than SA which seems more "pretty" to me. This is not a hard fast rule. Tune them to what works best for your ears. Hope this helps you a bit. Keep on practicing. It's all good !
The first few tuning notes for the taraf that most imadkahni players use are:
C# B D D E (so N D S S)(lowest to highest) and so on
Greg

Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "trippy
Anand Bhai
Thanks very much for the offer. I'll check out the site.

Nick
I'm looking forward to this.......

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.