INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #16 
It is not about other musicians copying their music or musical ideas.
It is about having control over what performances get preserved for history and distributed across the world.
Every artist has good and bad days.
Most would like to have a say as to which performances make it past the room where they happened.
It is also a matter of having control of the quality of the recordings and videos.
Having thousands of BAD recordings of their work floating around does not reflect an artist's legacy they way they may wish.
It is all about having control of the presentation of your artistry and life's work.

Some artists dont mind you recording.
That is great. Record away if they say it is OK.
BUT some are very protective of the quality of recorded material.

Personally I would prefer that an audience member DID NOT record my concert.
If I want that concert out in the world at large, I would record it myself properly through the sound equipment so that the sound is as good a quality as possible.

SO this has nothing to do with people stealing ideas or being copied.
It is about control of ones own art and its dissemination.

And to Barend, it is not about secrets.
Just because you perform in public does not mean that the members of the public that did not attend the concert in person have a right to hear what was played that night. They did not buy a ticket. They dont have a right to the music of that night.
Just because you can put up videos and audio on YouTube does not mean you have the right to record and post whatever you want.
Artists have a right to control their own art and who listens to it.
barend

Reply with quote  #17 
Yes, you are absolutely right and I totally agree.

I was just replying to Swansongs post.

But everyone can record things and put it on Youtube and everyone does. I am not fond of it either but it happens and there is not much you can do about it. That's just the age we are living in. Wanting to control that is like being Don Quichotte fighting against the windmills.
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #18 
Sad but true, Barend.
Actually most of my post was responding to Swansong as well.
Although i did read Swansongs post from the quote in your post so I am sorry if that was confusing.
Sorry about that.

I do think that live concerts should be recorded if allowed though.
But if one is recording it is polite and correct to get permission.
Plus you get a better recording if the recorder is out in the open and not hidden in a pocket. I do that some artists dont mind if you record them.
At a Shahid Parvez house concert I noticed that there were six digital recorders sitting in front of him. I think most were his students recorders, but a few were from audience members.

With the ease of modern equipment all artists should be recording their own concerts.
If you already have mics on everything and it is going to a board, record it.
You never know when a great performance will pop up.
At least then you have a high quality recording to use as you will.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #19 
Re recording but taking pics of concert, gigs etc.

Last sunday, 4th oct, I played at a charity do at the newly built Ace Centre in my home town. Several people were taking pics & an odd on, myself included, taking videos. Yes, I AM a bit odd Anyway..!!!
I managed to get hold of at least 2 people to get copies of the best ones of my 2 performances. The first young lad was taking them for the Ace Centre itself & so, the next day, I called in there & left my name & mobile number.
The second 'pair' that were snapping merrily away informed me, when I asked about my concert shots, that they were doing it as their own personal NEW business & would charge me for my OWN pics. Now, I don't know about anyone else but I was NOT happy about that situation. The event wasn't free & I wasn't informed BEFORE they took my shots that they were selling them or even after, for that matter.. They even said they would be selling them to whoever wanted them via their website.

Doesn't anyone here feel I should have been told at SOME time during the event. Am I being a bit precious? All I'd require is my own copies, nothing more, really!
Yes, I know I'VE taken many many shots over the years & some have been used professionally but NEVER have I ever charged anyone to take them OR have copies of my own shots.

I had a word with the guy who asked me to play & also, the next day, I mentioned it to one of the staff at the Ace Centre. It seems no-one was aware these 2 were doing it to make money for ONLY themselves!!!

the site is
http://www.bandphotography.eu

Nick
Mulamoodan

Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "trippy
The second 'pair' that were snapping merrily away informed me, when I asked about my concert shots, that they were doing it as their own personal NEW business & would charge me for my OWN pics.
That is gross.. Watch that space, and if your material appears there for sale, sue them..
John

Reply with quote  #21 
At a charidee gig too! Shysters! :evil:
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #22 
Just had a look at the link & it seems they're not ready yet.
I'll keep an eye on this lot.

Nick
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.