INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
pbercker

Reply with quote  #1 
Just uploaded...

Shahid Parvez - sitar - Rag Bageshree - Alap, Jor and Jhala - (part 1/2)

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/5057/shahidparvezconcert.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

(I will upload part 2 with Anindo Chatterjee on tabla a bit later).

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Bakersbites786

Reply with quote  #2 
God bless you!
That's a treat, excellent visual and sound quality.
I've got a slow Internet connection today that spoilt it little. Thanks again!
sason

Reply with quote  #3 
Sorry.
Do you have the rights to upload this?
It does not cost much and I think we should should support such productions.

I bought this DVD a few years ago from http://www.northindianmusic.com
It is really good and recommended.
anju831

Reply with quote  #4 
Amazingggggggg performance! Thank you so much for uploading
Sanjeeb

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "sason"
Sorry.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree with what you write and we should support the efforts and encourage artists whenever we can, who make their efforts and investment to provide for us (I confess though I have not always done the same).

I have always felt a greater sense of satisfaction in listening to music that I have paid for than, that which I have procured freely elsewhere.

Best Wishes
Sanjeeb.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjeeb"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "sason"
Sorry.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree with what you write and we should support the efforts and encourage artists whenever we can, who make their efforts and investment to provide for us (I confess though I have not always done the same).

I have always felt a greater sense of satisfaction in listening to music that I have paid for than, that which I have procured freely elsewhere.

Best Wishes
Sanjeeb.
I appreciate the tokens of concern, however 1) As far as I know http://www.northindianmusic.com has been out of business for quite some time. 2) Moreover their email contacts and paypal accounts are no longer functional. 3) The otherwise very aggressive copyright content ID software Youtube employs did NOT recognize any copyright holders for this DVD.

Without a doubt, the very best way of supporting and encouraging artist is by going to their concerts. A top-notch Classical Indian artist can earn $5000-$10,000 per concert. On the other hand, selling 10,000 CDs would be an absolutely phenomenal, but rarely achieved, feat (indeed, 15,000 qualifies for "Gold" certificate for classical Indian genre vs. 100,000 for hindi filmi music).

I recently read an interesting article in regards to western classical music, which concluded with the following "3 laws]The 3 Laws of Classical Music in the 21st Century

1. Money will be made by performing, by donations, by sponsorships and, in some cases, by endorsements.
2. Recorded music will have no commercial value other than promotion. It is not a tool for revenue generation – it is a tool for brand building and audience development.
3. Every download and every stream of recorded music increases the promotional value of that music and increases the brand equity of the performer and presenter. It does not cannibalize recording revenue because there is no recording revenue! It does not cannibalize ticket sales – it enhances ticket sales by enhancing brand equity and building audience demand!
http://businessofclassicalmusic.blogspot.com/2008/12/classical-music-after-cd.htmlMight these "3 laws" possibly apply to Classical Indian Music (an arguably even smaller genre)? I would argue that it does.

Pascal
p.s. For a very rough estimate of how well classical indian CDs sell, check out your favorite musicians at amazon and scroll down to see the sales ranking. Very roughly speaking, a ranking of 50,000=30 copies/week, 100,000 = 16 copies/week, 500,000=1 copy/week. (I'm not sure this applies to mp3 sales ranking).

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Bakersbites786

Reply with quote  #7 
No disrespect to anybody!
Know the formalities are over can we have part 2
Pleeeeeeesssseeeeee!!!!

Next time Ustad Ji's in the UK, I'll go watch him in concert! That's a promise.
Sanjeeb

Reply with quote  #8 
Pascal,
Thanks for the response and concern.
But regarding the article you read, though its statistics may be correct but in my opinion it DOES NOT JUSTIFY what fairly should go to the producers of the music who have labored and invested, whether it be Western Classical, Indian Classical or anything else.
Regards
Sanjeeb
pbercker

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Sanjeeb"
Pascal,
Thanks for the response and concern.
But regarding the article you read, though its statistics may be correct but in my opinion it DOES NOT JUSTIFY what fairly should go to the producers of the music who have labored and invested, whether it be Western Classical, Indian Classical or anything else.
Regards
Sanjeeb
This is probably not the right forum to discuss this point for too much longer, however the key question your reply raises is precisely "what fairly should go to the producers of the music"? Currently, they get about 90% of the revenue and artists, if they are lucky, get about 10% in terms of royalties, if any are actually available. It's hard to see that as a "fair" and equitable distribution.

This question is presumably moot with respect to the Shahid Parvez video in that I assume they have long ago stop selling because they have long ago recouped their investment since this concert was way back in 2002.

More generally speaking, it's worth noting that the vast majority of what seem to be copyright infringement on youtube is not what it seems since most copyright holders choose NOT to have the material taken down, but instead allowed to stay on condition that ads be allowed to be displayed whose revenue is split with google (owners of youtube).
Quote:
Block, Monetize, or Track Viewing Metrics — It's Automated, and It's Free
YouTube has created an advanced set of copyright policies and content management tools to give rights holders control of their content. YouTube provides content management solutions for rights holders of all sizes across the world, and provides tools to cater to the specific needs of various rights owners.
http://www.youtube.com/t/contentid

Pascal

pbercker

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bakersbites786"
No disrespect to anybody!
Know the formalities are over can we have part 2
Pleeeeeeesssseeeeee!!!!

Next time Ustad Ji's in the UK, I'll go watch him in concert! That's a promise.
Will try to post part 2 today.

PB

Bakersbites786

Reply with quote  #11 
God bless you!
Thanks buddy.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #12 
Here is part 2 of Shahid Parvez 2002 Australian concert with Anindo Chatterjee on tabla

PB

Sanjeeb

Reply with quote  #13 
You seem to have addressed the issue quite well yourself.
I was not referring to this particular recording but as a general observation.
Best Wishes
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.