INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
sitarman

Reply with quote  #1 
Not much of an intelligent post here- just have to say it out loud while the notes are still ringing in my head. Just listened again to the Drut gat in Raag Jog on the Synergy double CD. That's pretty frightening technique! I am trying to learn that full gat (at a more humane speed first!). Anyone feel like writing it out- ha, ha, ha...? The antara, with those high meend notes really smokes. The man should be hosed off after each performance. Whew!
daz199

Reply with quote  #2 
im tellin you, he's a cyborg...half man half machine...
sitarman

Reply with quote  #3 
Really! The Raaginator!!
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #4 
"Sai Borg" or perhaps "Sai Raga" - hairdo aside! The man is cookin with gas!

Reply with quote  #5 
this might get moved but the first retardedly fast line is
from 8

Gm Pn Sn Pm Gm Pm Gm gs ns G / / pm G //

second line to come

sitarman

Reply with quote  #6 
COOL. KEEP IT COMING. SITARFIXER- SAI RAGA !! iILOVE IT!! i WONDER HOW MANY GOT THAT ONE? Hey, how did that Caps Lock get hit?
sitarman

Reply with quote  #7 
Adam, are we talking about the same gat? Track three on disk 2 of raag jog? Sounds like it is (starting on the 8th matra)
Gm Pn Sn Pm Gm Pm Gm gS Gm
P - - G m g S Gm Pn Sn Pm Gm Pm Gm Pm Gm
P-- etc.

The P is on sam

small case=komal)

I think i'm hearing it right. I antara is a tough one. I'll work on it. I should probably take Hassan's advice and download a slow down type player!
adunc069

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi, you're right. I was trying to just hum it out when I was writing that post. You're absolutely right though. The second line is pretty crazy. All on one string too, crazy. I'm goint to see Ustadji next week. Just in time, I bought a new recorder thing that gives me up to 32 hours of recording. I will post some clips if someone wants to help. I could send the files to someone and they can post. Maybe that guy that used to do the Nikhil's mood or whatever it was called?

Adam

sitarman

Reply with quote  #9 
Adam, I hope to see him in concert someday. Hopefully out here in Tucson, or even Phoenix would work for me. I envy you! when I studied with shujaat recently, I did some taans with fast gamak and it is getting a little easier, but the velocity with which Ustadji hits those high notes beyond the frets is phenomenal. Practice, practice, practice. Hope to get close one of these days. The other thing that amazes me about his performances is how he can play these tihais that start somewhere in left field and end perfectly before the return to the gat. Shujaat has a great view on that as well. He says that most sitarists play tihais to land on sam (like tabla players), but landing right before the gat gives a much more musical approach. Of course with gats that start in the middle of the cycle it takes some figuring out beforehand as to where to play them. A good challenge- figuring out tihais for gats starting on 7, or 12, for instance.
daz199

Reply with quote  #10 
is that the last gat in jog? (fast teental)

adam i'd be interested in anythin you record...i''ll check my webspace to see my bandwidth limit, i mite be able to post it
sitarman

Reply with quote  #11 
Can someone tell me where the slow speed feature is on Windows Media Player? Hassan has mentioned it but I sure don't see it. Do I need to download a pay version?
adunc069

Reply with quote  #12 
Top left han dcorner of the screen, third column from the left called "play", click on it, third option from the top, play speed, it opens up, choose one
sitarman

Reply with quote  #13 
Adam,
Thanks- I see it but it is greyed out as an option.
sitarman

Reply with quote  #14 
Ok- I got the slow speed working on Media Player. Seems like you have to play MP3's, not WAV to use that feature.
The Drut Gat in Jog, now that I hear it correctly, is actually, from 7th matra:

Gm Pn Sn Pm Gm Pm gS nS Gm
P - - G m g S Gm Pn....etc

There is a lot of quick lateral movement in this one!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.