INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
gillo

Reply with quote  #1 
MP3s from from a concert at Sri Aurobindo Institute in Kolkata on 2 Feb 2011... enjoy...

http://www.sriaurobindoinstitute.org/container/saic/elders/joyadi/020211/020211#020211_mp3
coughcapkittykat

Reply with quote  #2 
Fantastic, can't wait to listen. I really love Kirwani at the moment. Thanks!
ragamala

Reply with quote  #3 
This is a good find, many thanks!

Not least for having Kaushiki singing (with Anubrata on tabla) the first set.

Shahid Parvez played an absolutely splendid Kirwani at Saptak in January, but not with Anindo, so I'll look forward to hearing this one, unfortunately I had to leave Kolkata a couple of days before this concert....
ragamala

Reply with quote  #4 
I have just listened to that Kaushiki Madhuvanti, I am really asking myself why I still listen to sitar!!!! That is so hot!
gillo

Reply with quote  #5 
yeah, a site to bookmark for sure, I only found it because I went looking after a friend I went to the program with said that the audio was available online... there are other recordings...

http://www.sriaurobindoinstitute.org/container/saic/elders/joyadi/020207/020207

http://www.sriaurobindoinstitute.org/container/cultural/exhibitions/aspiration/2007/291206

I'd be interested in a comparison of the performance at Saptak and this one (not having heard Saptak)...

cheers
Simon
ragamala

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "gillo"
I'd be interested in a comparison of the performance at Saptak and this one (not having heard Saptak)...

cheers
Simon
It may be because these days I find the live music experience far better than listening to recordings, but having listened to the SP Kirwani here, it seems a pale imitation of the one I heard at Saptak. My memory tells me that at Ahmedabad SP put far more musicality into the alap, indeed all sections of his performance, and particularly into the jor and jhala, which in this version seem boring and unadventurous. The slow gat here is also rather mundane in my view. My feeling was at Saptak SP not only showed a greater variety of his skills but put them to better use in what I found a very satisfying and musical performance, which hung togther in its development from start to finish.
gillo

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "ragamala"
My memory tells me that at Ahmedabad SP put far more musicality into the alap, indeed all sections of his performance, and particularly into the jor and jhala, which in this version seem boring and unadventurous. The slow gat here is also rather mundane in my view.
...but brilliant nonetheless...

Greg

Reply with quote  #8 
...all sounds good to me, Thanks...!
jaan e kharabat

Reply with quote  #9 
The less said about the gat the better, I think! There's a current discussion on RMIC about this performance and the title of the thread is, quite mockingly, Listening to Techno-Kirwano-Jazz by Pt. Shahid Parvez and Ud. Anindo Chatterjee! I tend to agree that there's plenty to mock here.

The Kaushiki was insipid as well.

Reply with quote  #10 
I have to say, I was not mad keen on the Saptak performance. The alap was stunning, but much of the improvisation in the gat sections was, I'm sorry to say, a bit predictable. Impressive in it's execution - Ustadji's playing is technically flawless - but quite dull at times. I keep hearing the same taan & layakari patterns in different raga-s. There's one taan in particular which seems to have become a kind of signature of his. If I get chance over the weekend, I'll post a clip.
ragamala

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "jaan
The Kaushiki was insipid as well.
Having listened again, I do take your point, I would say more off-the-production-belt rather than insipid. But her rapid delivery is still hard to beat, and there were some good moments.

But I'm just a mug for Kaushiki. I drool at her name. Like some drool at the name Shahid Parvez, it seems. But any opportunity for a plug for vocal music is welcome for the taking, since we don't have a vocal forum. Oops, yes we do, now. Bollywood. Magic. Next up for a new board Techno-Kirwano-Jazz? SP fans start lobbying now!
jaan e kharabat

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
But her rapid delivery is still hard to beat, and there were some good moments.
I just hope you don't mean stuff like in this:
which are frighteningly deleterious to raagdaari.
Quote:
Next up for a new board Techno-Kirwano-Jazz? SP fans start lobbying now!
We already have an instrumental section.

Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "jaan

I just hope you don't mean stuff like in this:
which are frighteningly deleterious to raagdaari.
No I meant good moments in the Madhuvanti. Unfortunately I can't listen to that video you flagged up, so can't cross swords on that one, even if I'd want to!

I'd be interested in your comments on this -

http://www.mediafire.com/?z0fdq2fo05x0sxz

This is not my recording, (thanks it seems to guruprasad) and not a top quality one, Kaushiki sang it at Kishori Amonkars 80th Birthday bash in Pune a week or so ago. Unfortunately the format is short because it was one of a tryptych of performances of "Ek Raag (todi) 3 Gharani". With Kalapini Komkali and Nandini Bedekar singing separately vilambit banshishes, then all three singing in a madhya laya, apparently. Bit of a girls' night out.

As an aside, that must have been an interesting event. Apart from KA performing herself, there was a dhrupad tigalbandi (!) with Uday Bhawalkar, Bahauddin Dagar and Nancy Kulkarni.
gillo

Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "John"
... If I get chance over the weekend, I'll post a clip.
how did you go with this? I'd like to hear some... at the risk of more 'drooling' (apparently)...
thanks
Simon
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.