INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Bakersbites786

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi guys.

Just to share with you my Ustad Ji in Leicester ordered three sitars of Shahid Ali after seeing the two I ordered. He already has three Rikki Ram sitars. He just texted ME too say thank you for introducing Shahid Ali to them and are happy with their purchases. Also another student of Roopa ji has also put in an order.

After all the Miraj fiasco, I think it's fair to say he's reliable, honest and a bloody good sitarmaker.

The two that I have I'm pleased with! Regardless of the polish smudges.
I also have another sitar on order from Bashir of Miraj Kashmiri Tun sitar like what Lars sold awhile back. Hopefully should get that early next week. Keep you posted.

Ps Lars helped me out with this one. Bashir seems pleased with the sitar. No more after this one! Perhaps one of Lars on my travels to the states at some stage.
theactor10

Reply with quote  #2 
Was it you who was having trouble getting their sympathetic strings to ring out on their Shahid Ali? If so, how did that work out?
Bakersbites786

Reply with quote  #3 
Yes it was, first I changed the strings, thinking they were slightly too thick, but that didn't work. Shahid suggested I should get a thin piece of paper and place it on the back of the jawari feet. Bingo!!
theactor10

Reply with quote  #4 
Sweet, record a clip with the new symp setup!
Bakersbites786

Reply with quote  #5 
I'm working on an old Raga Kafi bandish with Roopa Ji, we're hoping to complete that on 15th December. I'll try and get that wrapped up and I'll post it. Sorry about the wait.
Ramesh

Reply with quote  #6 
Bakersbites,

Namaste.When you said back of the jawari feet,what exactly do you mean?Did you mean underneath or the "bottom" of the jawari feet(thus raising the height/angle of the jawari)?
Im finding it hard to visualize.It would be great to see a picture if its possible.Thanks alot.

Reply with quote  #7 
He means sliding a piece of paper under the back of the bridge, under the feet.
This tilts the bridge slightly forward, forcing a more "open" jawari on the sympathetic string bridge.
It is a way to temporarily make up for a bad jawari.
The best advice is to find someone to correct the Jawari.
Bakersbites786

Reply with quote  #8 
Cwroyds is spot on with his understanding. That's exactly what ive done. Ramesh ji I hope this helps because you can't see the paper under the jawari.
Ramesh

Reply with quote  #9 
cwroyds,
Namaste.Thanks alot for the explanation.I think ive read about it at sitarfactory's site but i was still confused on how to go about it.I mean frontside and backside in reference to where and what direction?
"Removing wood from the frontside onwards, will make the jawari turn over to a wider narrowing with the strings and thus make it sound more open. Removing wood at the backside will make it turn over to a smaller narrowing and make the sound more closed. "

Now that you've explained it,i finally got it!Thanks alot.

Bakersbites,

Namaste.Thank you too for the info.Another question,did you do that only to your taraf's jawari or also with your tar jawari?I also have a studio sitar but will reserve the review later when it finally breaks in and i get the ideal sound i want.By the way,if you dont mind me asking,on what note are you tuned( i mean your baj MA) and what string gauge do you use for taraf?

Reply with quote  #10 
Just my tarab jawari Ramesh ji. My tar jawari is ok. Chikari's need slight tweak but I'm not going to do anything yet. Might end up wreaking it all together. Ramesh ji PM me your email address I'll send you some pictures. I'm getting a message "board quota has been reached".

I'm tuned to D -32 :roll: i use the itabla pro. This is at my ustad Ji's request.
my choice of tarab strings is .23mm. Which is 0.09 inches i think.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.