INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
harperbass

Reply with quote  #1 
OK. First post. Thanx for having me.
I have one of Rain City's instruments, seems to be a good one. If only the strings would stay in tune. Any kind of tuning!
My ex-girlfriend gave this to me as a gift. Was advertised as "setup and ready to play". Pfuey!
The beads aren't sanded and leathered, the pegs aren't finished correctly, etc etc. the thing just won't stay in pitch. At all. Symps or playing strings. I'm having it worked on by a member of this forum this week so I'm not worried about that, but there seems to be some debris (seeds?!) rattling around in there that gets on my nerves. It has a top toomba, is it as ez as turning it upside down and shaking the heck out of it? She paid a lot of money for this. My other sitar will do (an offbrand) since I had that worked on. Amazed at what Festus could do.

No personal offense is meant or implied.

Sincere regards,

Rick Harper
musicslug

Reply with quote  #2 
leather on beads: always 'after market' (end user does this), never comes that way

stuff rattling around inside: normal. you can shake it out, as you mention, or not - it won't affect play/sound (unless you shake the instrument like maracas while playing...)

slipping tuning pegs: normal. end users always tweak that, usually with chalk, although there are other, fancier products

I don't know anything about your earlier sitar, but what you're describing is pretty much par for purchasing a sitar from a reputable source. if you'd bought one direct from some ebay seller in India, the odds are that you'd be experiencing much bigger - and possibly unsolvable (except with fire or axe...) problems.

so shake that puppy upside down and get the junk out (easy to do) - it's just shavings from all the carving

get some waxless chalk and chalk up those pegs - and find the 'sweet spot' of correct pressure that holds them tight but still allows you to turn them without struggling

find an old belt or some suede, cut out little discs and put them under the tuning pegs. if you like the results (I do, plus it preserves the finish - but this technique isn't 'traditional'), use a drop or two of super glue to make it permanent. if you're careful, you can do it with the pegs on: the pressure from the strings holds it like a clamp (perhaps a small piece of paper or plastic or whatever placed under the bead will save you in the event of a dribble...)

then practice a ton and get the thing broken in.
cabaray

Reply with quote  #3 
Those seeds are probably dead wood boring beetles. Just kidding :-) Actually its mostly little bits of wood. Since a sitar has to be assembled and frets tied in place before you can drill holes for the symp pegs, its enviable that some bits of wood fall down into the instrument. I dont think that it reflects on the quality of the sitar since most of them come with seeds, free of charge. I tried to shake some of the debris out of mine but wasn't able to get it all, now I dont even think about it.
Lars

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "harperbass"
OK. First post. Thanx for having me.
I have one of Rain City's instruments, seems to be a good one. If only the strings would stay in tune. Any kind of tuning!
My ex-girlfriend gave this to me as a gift. Was advertised as "setup and ready to play". Pfuey!
The beads aren't sanded and leathered, the pegs aren't finished correctly, etc etc. the thing just won't stay in pitch. At all. Symps or playing strings. I'm having it worked on by a member of this forum this week so I'm not worried about that, but there seems to be some debris (seeds?!) rattling around in there that gets on my nerves. It has a top toomba, is it as ez as turning it upside down and shaking the heck out of it? She paid a lot of money for this. My other sitar will do (an offbrand) since I had that worked on. Amazed at what Festus could do.

No personal offense is meant or implied.

Sincere regards,

Rick Harper
I actually do find this offensive, have been doing this for many years and find it interesting why I wasn't notified if there was a problem? I've played for longer than you've probably been typing, everything without exception is set up before shipping. What is your experience may I ask? I offer a free lesson as well via Skype, unlimited phone support and email and you took advantage of none of it. Which sitar was it? What is 'a lot of money'? There are always loose bits in the gourd, that was in one of the letters included. I never use leather on the beads, you get a strip of sandpaper which works better and is traditionally used. Leather gives way to easily for my taste although others will disagree. Musicslug had good advice, thanks for that. Also chalk is always included but not needed as I sit with every instrument here for a few hours and play it, set up. So it leaves here in pitch, capable of any tuning, and of minimum 5 note meend with the bridge set in the proper place. If the bridge gets loose or the climate difference is there you're going to have issues, usually minor ones that are unavoidable.

Honestly it sounds like you're a shill maybe, lets see who else ends up getting promoted out of this. There is a certain someone that likes to promote me but slams our instruments behind my back as I've come to find out from several people after having guided many people to their services, this reeks of that. Your name is not in my information either so if I didn't actually send this sitar to you then God knows what's going on here..... But nevertheless, sorry it didn't work out for you and more sorry that you chose to voice your opinions here without taking any advantage of my help and/or return policy which probably would have solved your issues.

Lars

Reply with quote  #5 
I just hafta add my two rupees worth.... :roll:

I bought my first Srishti from Lars in 2010. When I got the puppy home, I too noticed the sawdust in the tumba. A few pegs loosened up, some right before my very eyes. PANIC :? :evil: @#*%!!!

Now, three years into it, I've learned to calm down simply because I know that this is all very common to even the highest end sitars, and that these are minor issues that are solved, simply by asking pro's like Lars for a few solutions before PANICMANIA and ROADRAGE sets in and bad words are spoken and bridges are burned.

I now know that sitar buying is not at all like Fender guitar buying. Not one of my now 8 sitars are alike, except they all have 7 mains and 13 symps. Each and every one of them need tweaking by me, the owner. That's the responsibility that you sign up for, as a sitar player. By rights, and it's only my opinion, we should all be able to change strings, tie our own frets and do jawari. Most of it is possible, with the hardest exception being jawari.

Contacting the seller or any one of the 'brains' on this forum, should always be your first line of defense after you discover a problem or an unfamiliar situation, in order to ask questions and discover possible reasons and solutions, as many folks here have gone through these 'problems' already, and have the solutions for you. That's one of the many reasons that we come here to this forum.

Frankly, I don't know why some folks don't like the sawdust in a sitar, hearing it crinkle around in the tumba doesn't bother a thing and hearing it .... merely means you are still alive and kicking enough to hear it, on God's green earth.

Did I mention that I just came back from Lars' place yesterday with two more girls? One of the crinkles!! Thank God I'm alive to hear it!!

Reply with quote  #6 
My experience with Lars was a good and honest one, even though I didn't buy a sitar of him.
He gave me good sound advice. He didn't pimp up his instruments unnecessarily . He responded really quickly to my emails etc, even sent me a sound sample on my request. He doesn't seem like a chap that would compromise his good name and business reputation. Oh!! the reason I didn't buy was the shipping costs. it was Bashir black Shahid Parvez.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.