Author   Comment  
westsea

Reply with quote  #1 
I apologize if this has already been answered, but what it the
process of setting the bridge (both main and taraf) to the correct
position on the tabli?
element-82

Reply with quote  #2 
I think this is black magic For me, it is trial and error. You want to set the bridge so that you can intonate the frets properly. Start where the original was and work from there until you can play every note easily and it sounds good. Set it, tune the Ma string, make sure middle Ma fret is ok, then test the high notes etc.

Rarely do two jawaris fit in exactly the same place. Usually the new one is taller/higher because the old one has been filed so much and may have to sit further towards the bottom.

Someone else might have a more imperical method than mine.

The tarab bridge is easy. Put it on with the strings and move it up/down until it responds well and sounds great.

My advice:
take your time and do it right, no matter how long it takes, and you will be rewarded with great sound.

Pb
Quote:
Originally Posted by "westsea"
I apologize if this has already been answered, but what it the
process of setting the bridge (both main and taraf) to the correct
position on the tabli?

sitarman

Reply with quote  #3 
One thing in addition to making sure the the frets are in tune (middle and high ma are in tune to open ma) is to be sure that you can move the frets to their komal position before being right up against a peg. If the bridge is too close to the frets (too short a string length) you will not be able to do this even if you reposition the frets so that all the notes sound in tune. Hope this is clear.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.