INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
dhrupadstudent

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello all,

I am a student of Dagarvani. I have been learning vocal for a few years, but I am also strongly drawn toward the rudra veena and would like to learn it too.

For that purpose, I am interested in getting a Kanai Lal Dagarvani-style veena. Would anyone be able to point me to someone who might be willing to part with one? My understanding is that there may be several in France or Germany, possibly more than in the US or in India?

Also, I presume new rudra veenas are still being made, possibly in Miraj? Could anyone comment on their quality as compared to the Kanai Lals?

Thanks.
mike hooker

Reply with quote  #2 
i have one, made in miraj. i got it from tony karasek, he brought it from india when he moved back from the states. its a very good instrument. it took quite a bit of time to get it where i want it, its very hard to get the instrument you want without being in constant physical contact with the maker. emails arent quite enough. you could contact tony K, but i dont know if he has another or would have one made after not being in india anymore.

i think lars at rain city music can help you. when i was searching for mine, i came very close to having one built thru lars. he has a good relationship with RA sitarmaker, the makers of my veena. he'll do his very best to make sure its built as close as possible to your needs, take care of the shipping( very important), and go over it when it arrives.

as far a as dagar style, that will be tough. the jumbo tumbas on a dagar veena are not gourds, i believe the are calabash. i dont know if a miraj maker has access to those or not. mine are gourds, large, but not dagar large. the spacing on mine isnt quite right, but its the best i can get given all the other dimensions. i'd like them a bit closer, but then the mounts would interfere with the frets. if the gourds were a bit bigger in diameter, the mount spacing would be fine. you'll have to talk to lars about all that.

you can see my veena here:

good luck
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #3 
Sitarfixer here. Yes. I have a Rudra Veena here ready to go. Send me your eMail address through the message board here and I'll send you some pics.

Reply with quote  #4 
if you can get to tony to be fitted, thats best. if not, i think with enough communication, you can get one to suit your needs. between the one tony did for me, and the one tony did for povster, he's got quite a bit of rudra veena in his blood now and can set you up nice. if you need help, we could maybe compare our physical sizes, and i could make some measurements on mine to help you figure out how to go.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.