INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Lily

Reply with quote  #1 
Helloooooo!
2 ?'s: Does anyone know the asc and desc scale for Misra Bhairavi?
Is Bhairveen the same as Bhairav? Bhairavi?
Lily
SitarMac

Reply with quote  #2 
Mishra Bhairavi is almost a loose term for "anything goes" Bhairavi. So there is no real A/D for this, at the same time there are many. You might want to try "Sindhi Bhairavi"

The Arohi is

S-r-g-m-P-d-n-s

The Avarohi is

s-n-D-n-d-P-m-g-R-g-r-S

Hope that helps-Josh

Reply with quote  #3 
There are a few rag dictionaryies. If you live in Ottawa? then the librarries here have copies of these books. I think one is called Ragas of North Indian Music, the second has a similar name. They both have over 450 rags breifly described and all have notation of the rags, and the outline of the scales. It also has really old, ancient unheard of rags that developed into todays popular rags like puryia etc.... That is a great source to start from. That's where I started
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #4 
Ragas Of North Indian Music may well be the Alain Danielou book.
An interesting look at ICM from a slightly western point of view. I picked up a new reprint whilst in Varanasi & it mentions about re-editing it under a more knowledgeable light.

A Patrick Moutal book called something like 'A Selective Study of North Indian Ragas' is also a good read.

Nick
jaan e kharabat

Reply with quote  #5 
Also check out the SAWF article on raga Bhairavi. It has the low down on the usages of the vivadi swaras in Mishra Bhairavi. Dont miss the first audio clip, where an eminent Hindustani musicolgist demonstrates all the points of the written essay, don't worry if your Hindi is not too crash hot, just listen to the sargam.

Here is a link: http://www.sawf.org/newedit/edit05132002/musicarts.asp

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.